dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to dry hop in the primary after the fermentation has died down? I am thinking of dry hopping after day 11 or so, leaving it for another 10 days and then racking to secondary. Is that ok, or will I lose something?

The closer you dry hop to the bottling date, the more aroma the beer will have. Since I keg, I dry hop just before force carbonating and putting it on tap.

Of course, if you use carboys for clearing, cleaning the hops out is a pain.

The gripping hand: dry hopping in the fermenter will work okay.

I believe I heard somewhere also that the hop oils coat the cell wall of yeast and make it difficult to do all the things that yeasties do. Can't remember where I heard it or if I dreamt it.

The only problem I have ever encountered/heard of is when you dry hop before ferm has died down (which it sounds like you are not going to do). When you do that the CO2 being produced by the yeast basically causes gas extraction of the hop essential oils and will cause your dry hopping to not work very well at all. I dont know about them causing the yeast to function poorly but if you add them after fermentation is mostly complete it shouldnt matter anyway.

Back