Dry Hop with Tea Ball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
I have seen these SS tea balls at the local asian grocery store for $3. They are only about 75mm (3") diameter. Is that large enough for dry hopping a small 3 gallon batch? What % of the original hop bill would you usually add if dry hopping?

I've used them successfully for keg hopping. You don't want to put much more than 1/2oz of pellet hops in each one or they'll swell up and you will not maximize the aroma you get from them. Make sure that they are secure... some are pretty flimsy and prone to popping open. Also, note that they are cheap SS and the HW will eventually begin to corrode some.

Thanks for that. I will get a couple and give them a try. 0.5 oz in each.

I've used them successfully for keg hopping. You don't want to put much more than 1/2oz of pellet hops in each one or they'll swell up and you will not maximize the aroma you get from them. Make sure that they are secure... some are pretty flimsy and prone to popping open. Also, note that they are cheap SS and the HW will eventually begin to corrode some.
Does much of the hop pellet material escape? I bought one and it seems to me that a lot of hops could get out where the seem is.

Does much of the hop pellet material escape? I bought one and it seems to me that a lot of hops could get out where the seem is.

For that reason, I only use these tea balls for leaf hops. For pellets, I use a sanitized muslin bag.

Actually, I don't usually use ANY bags or teaballs unless I'm dryhopping in the keg. But I use both (bag for pellets, teaball for leaf hops) when I'm dryhopping in a keg!

i bought one online and was dissapointed that it didn't hold much at all. i couldn't fit an ounce of hops and what i did fit expanded in the ball so much that i don't think my utilization was very good.

Not really; have only used them twice so far in keg hopping. The first had NO hop material in my beer. The second I had a lot for about the first gallon; that was due to one of the herb/hop/tea balls opening. After the first gallon or so the beer was clear.

I do not use the balls in the boil... I just throw the hops in. Usually, the first cup or so out of the kettle is captured for a hydro reading and after that runs pretty clear. At the very end I cut off the valve when I start seeing trub in the line. Anything that makes it into the fermentor settles out in primary (usually very little trub in the yeast cake).

I like the herb balls, my only recommendation is if using them for kegs is to buy the biggest one you can fit through the lid! They do not hold many hops. I chain mine together and use multiple if using much more than 1/2oz.

Cheers, Webri

Back