Dry hop with Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Because of circumstances beyond my control when i was purchasing hops for my last brew I had to substitute Amarilo for my dry hop with Simcoe which is

13AA

Do people dry hop with Simcoe?

My hop schedule was

1oz Warrior 60 min

.5oz Amarillo 15
.5oz Simcoe 15

.5oz Amarillo 5
.5oz Simcoe 5

Then dry hop 1oz of the Simcoe.

yes, Stone Brewery definitely dry hops with simcoe. are they whole hops or pellets?

My house IPA and Pale ale both are dry hopped with Simcoe - it ROCKS mon! 1.5 - 2 Oz and you will get a big ass passion fruit aroma.

They are pellets and I have one OZ. Its my first time dry hopping and my first partial mash so im very anxious to see how this brew turns out.

They are pellets and I have one OZ. Its my first time dry hopping and my first partial mash so im very anxious to see how this brew turns out.

you'll love it. amarillo and simcoe compliment each other nicely. I do an ipa recipe where the dry hop is optional - simcoe or amarillo. I do this recipe a lot and alternate between the two. they both taste awesome although I favor the amarillo just a tinge

I just dry hopped a batch of Nut Brown Ale with 1 oz of Mt Hood Pellets for 3 day before bottling. Curious to see how it turns out.

I always plan to dry hop but usually chicken out because im afraid of having to deal with hop matter when im bottling. This time im gonna do it! at least thats what im telling myself :)

no but i will

My favorite IPA is dryhopped with .5 ounce simcoe and 1 ounce amarillo. It's awesome. They are both great alone, but together they are synergistic and go from great to "wow"!

I always plan to dry hop but usually chicken out because im afraid of having to deal with hop matter when im bottling. This time im gonna do it! at least thats what im telling myself :)

no but i will

put your hops in a small sanitized grainbag with a sanitized marble to sink it, tie it up and drop it in your primary, nothing to be afraid of ;)

"put your hops in a small sanitized grainbag with a sanitized marble to sink it, tie it up and drop it in your primary, nothing to be afraid of "

Or some stainless washers.

"put your hops in a small sanitized grainbag with a sanitized marble to sink it, tie it up and drop it in your primary, nothing to be afraid of "

Or some stainless washers.

Or, just throw them in there. That's what I do!

I dryhopped my currently kegged IPA with 2 ounces leaf hops and 1 ounce pellets. I didn't use a bag or anything. It was fine. I'm pretty careful with the siphon, and I got out almost every bit of beer and left behind the dryhops floating on top, and the pellets that disintegrated into the bottom. I start the siphon in the middle, and just lower it as the level of the beer drops. I've been doing it a long time, so I'm pretty proficient at it, but anybody can do it with some practice.

However, using bags is fine too, as long as the bag is sanitized first. Getting a bag of hops out of a carboy (and into the carboy) is a bit of a pain, though!

And yet no one has asked if Simoe hops will make the beer taste like grapefruit??

is it ok to squeeze the beer out of the bag after dry hopping?

I don't see why not, I do. Just starsan your hand up. As well, kiss having a clear beer any time soon goodbye, but hey, its an IPA who cares.

Back