Dry Hop Tube in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I am dry hopping in my keg for the first time right now. I bought a 14" SS mesh tube that 2oz of pellet hops are sitting in. I have heard people complain about the effectiveness of using a container like this to dry hop in, as the pellets clump together and such. I am trying to avoid some of this by laying the keg on its side and periodically agitating it for one week. It has moderate pressure on it, but after a week it will be thrown in the keg and should be good to go.
Didn't know if anyone else has had success doing something like this.

Depends on how full the mesh was to start with. Pellet hops expand a lot and the create a mortar-like goo when confined like that. If they were loose in the screen, then you may have something to work with, if not then all the rolling in the world isn't going to move the compressed hop matter.

I'm about to keg-hop for the first time too. My plan is to just get a muslin bag, tie it to the inside of the lid, and drop it in. I'm aiming to have it hang just above the tip tube.
I'll report back in a week and let you know how this method works.

I just use a paint strainer bag and tie it off with dental floss and throw it in. The bag will usually float and has minimal sludge at the bottom and I still get good flavor all the way till the keg kicks.

I just use a paint strainer bag and tie it off with dental floss and throw it in. The bag will usually float and has minimal sludge at the bottom and I still get good flavor all the way till the keg kicks.

Man, there are so many possibilities. I always weighed mine down to sink it. I'll have to try floating it.

Back