Dry Hop Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a ~1.085 DIPA, kegged and added 1 oz of Amarillo hanging in a sanitized tea ball. Its been almost a week, and there is hardly any hop aroma.

How long is a typical dry hop time? 5 - 10 days?

How much hops are needed? I searched and found this from sickbrew in a thread:

OG 1.090 = 5 oz
OG 1.080 = 4 oz
OG 1.070 = 3 oz
OG 1.060 = 2.5 oz
OG 1.050 = 2 oz
OG < 1.050 = 1 oz
Is this correct?

In my experiences with dry hopping in the stainless tea ball, you have to leave the hops in longer than normal. I think this is due to the fact that not all of the hops are equally exposed to the beer, not to mention that those balls don't hold very much. I'd be suprised if they held a 1/2 ounce. If you're looking for better results I'd suggest using more than one ball at a time. Perhaps as many as three at once. Try the beer every few days until you achieve the desired results.

We have big mesh type ball. I was able to fit a 1oz package inside. Whats the typical dry hop amounts?

There really isn't any typical amount, although most DIPA recipes I've seen call for 3-6 oz. done in batches. Usually add one to three ounces, remove, and repeat. Dry hop until you get the hop character you desire.

I usually just through them in loose. Then when racking, I put a nylon strainer over my racking cane. 5-7 days is enough with this method.
Bull

agree with bull. Just throw them in. What hop variety did you use to dry hop? Are they fresh? Normally 1 oz is a nice amount for good hop aroma...

If it isn't a good strong smell, I'd buy another ounce and dry hop again for another week.

Not enough hops. A DIPA needs at least 3 oz. I just toss them in primary, they tend to sink away when I crash the yeast.

I haven't hopped in a keg but I would say remove and add another ounce of hops to the hop ball. Typically I dry hop in a secondary with 2-3 oz in a beer of that size and leave it for 14 days.

Vinny from Russian River advises to dry hop at warmer temps. He suggests dry-hopping between 68-72 degrees for at least 11 days. I do this in the secondary and in a 10 gallon batch of my IPA I put 3 oz. of 3 different hops in evey 3 days, and start cold crashing on the 12th day for 3 days. Works like a charm!!

Eastside

Back