dry hop technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
I didn't get much action on this in the beg. thread so I'll try here. I dry hopped for the first time and I don't think I like it. #1 I didn't use a bag so now I have a film of hops on top and it will never go away!! will they get in my bottles? will my beer clear properly? can I put a strainer in my bottling bucket to get rid of it?

If you're using a racking cane, you can just cover the end with a bit of stainless screen and it wil filter out any hop leaves. I only dry hopped once, and that's how I did it.

well, I don't have one of those and unfortunately,I used pellets... They are just sitting on top. I'll never do this again.. I hope this batch isn't ruined. I guess I will just lay a funnel with a strainer in it in the bottom of the bottling bucket and try to catch as much as I can to make sure my bottled brew is clear... live and learn I gues..:rockin:

Relax, don't worry!

When you rack to the bottling bucket, the tip of the cane is going to be below the surface, where all the hop debris is floating. Just stop siphoning beer into the bucket before that level gets to the end of the racking cane.

Do you have one of those little black tips for the cane? They do a good job (not perfect) in keeping debris out, as well.

What you do NOT want to do is strain the beer as it exits - you'll aerate it and it will go stale on you quickly. A careful racking, not getting too greedy with the transfer, and you'll be fine.

the_bird said:
Relax, don't worry!

When you rack to the bottling bucket, the tip of the cane is going to be below the surface, where all the hop debris is floating. Just stop siphoning beer into the bucket before that level gets to the end of the racking cane.

Do you have one of those little black tips for the cane? They do a good job (not perfect) in keeping debris out, as well.

What you do NOT want to do is strain the beer as it exits - you'll aerate it and it will go stale on you quickly. A careful racking, not getting too greedy with the transfer, and you'll be fine.

Ditto what Bird said plus what little bit of hop stuff that gets in there will not hurt anything, you can now call it a true unfiltered beer. One of my favorite brews comes from one of our locals and they dry hop and bottle it after it's filtered and that little bit of hop debris just adds to the character of the beer.

Just go for it and never be afraid to dry hop, which what I am about to go do right now.

A stainless screen will help with the pellets as well. As per previous posts, most of the debris will be on top, but some of it will have settled. If you have a hardware store nearby, go there and ask them for a lint screen for a washing machine drain hose. They are normally stainless, but nylon will work also. Double it up and attach it to your cane with a small hose clamp, zip-tie or even a twist tie if you're in a pinch. Of, if you have a lady of the house who might not miss a pair of pantyhose, you could also use them as a screen. Don't give up on dry-hopping, it's an excellent way to add character to your beer and it really isn't that much of an issue to deal with.

Back