Dry Hop Suggestions for Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim2043

Reaction score
I brewed a nice amber ale last year (American Amber but its got some German flare with Munich malt and Kolsch yeast)and modified the recipe this year. I like it already but should I dry hop and what hops should I use.

The Bill.

75% 2-row
5% Roasted Barley
10% 80-L Caramel
10% Munich
60 Min - .5 oz Chinook
15 Min - .5 oz Willamette
5 Min - 1.5 oz Cascade

SRM is about 10-15 the lighter side of amber

I was thinking Hallertau for a dry hop but I don't have any. I kind of want something that would be preferably floral or second pref of citrusy/fruity. I have plenty of cascade and thats my staple but anyone else have other ideas?

PS. This will be drunk by many of my friends and family at my wedding in 6 weeks. Not all beer people but they all liked the first batch last year.

Hallertau Hersbrucker has a nice floral quality when used for a dry hop. Smells like violets to me.

I use 4oz. and it isn't overpowering or too perfumey. It's somewhere between mild and moderate at that amount for a week dry hop.

How about some Liberty or Mt Hood? Both are good substitutes for Hallertau, one of the favorite beers I brewed used Liberty.

Thx for suggestions. I ended up using what I had which was Cascade and Centennial. I used .5oz of each in 5 gallons.

Back