Dry Hop Scuzz or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I checked in on my IPA which has been dry hopping for the past 5 days.

There is a definite whitish scuzz on the surface. :(

Now it should be noted that the hop sock never sank (you can see it in the images).

Do you think this is just some floaties from the hop pellets sitting on top of my beer, or is that scuzz infection? :confused:

DSCN1561.JPG

DSCN1560.JPG

That is what the surface of my wort looks like in the kettle (with trub still afloat).

Smell your fermenter. did you puke? if not, your fine.

hmmm, hard to tell... can you zoom out a bit so we can see the entire surface of the beer?

Sorry. This was the best I could do with the LED flashlight and the glare.

That is what the surface of my wort looks like in the kettle (with trub still afloat).

Smell your fermenter. did you puke? if not, your fine.

It smelled malty, hoppy and with a touch of CO2. Sometimes that makes me puke, but usually it is the next morning. :mug:

It looks like it's coming out of the sack. Did you sanitize the hop sack before you filled it & dumped it in?

I did soak the sack and marbles in Star San for ~15 min before putting it in the carboy.

based on your replies I would say that the slick on the surface is hop oil deliciousness.

Back