Dry-hop screw up?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
So I did my first dry hopping two weeks ago. I just threw in an ounce, no bag or anything. I'm bottling now and there is a ridiculous amount of largish sediment in the bottling bucket. Anything I can do at this point to keep it out of my bottled beer?

Dryhopping is when you add hops after fermentation is completely finished- usually in the secondary. It adds amazing aroma and flavor!

I don't use hops bags, I just throw them in there, and then put a straining bag over my racking cane when it's time to rack.

Tangent question - if a recipe calls for "dry hop at 7 days" does that mean seven days after brewing or seven days before bottling? I am not using a secondary and just planning on leaving in the primary for about three weeks.

Thanks. :)

They probably just meant to dryhop AFTER fermentation is finished. The reason for this is that the off-gassing of CO2 during fermentation tends to drive off the aroma that you are trying to get out of the hops. It's just counterproductive to dryhop any earlier.

shafferpilot said:
They probably just meant to dryhop AFTER fermentation is finished. The reason for this is that the off-gassing of CO2 during fermentation tends to drive off the aroma that you are trying to get out of the hops. It's just counterproductive to dryhop any earlier.

Gottcha. Thanks! :mug:

You don't want to dry hop in your bottling bucket. Either do it in your primary or secondary if using one. You should be able to leave most if not all behind when racking to your bottling bucket into your priming solution. I dry hopped my first batch with whole leaf hops that stayed at the top of the carboy making it easy to avoid them, Haven't tried it with pellets.

* No bag just dropped them in top

Back