Dry Hop, risk of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
So I had a hop bag that I was using to dry hop. It happened to fall on the ground while I had it out of the carboy (it was saturated with beer). I sprayed the outside down with star san and rung it out as I tried to put it back in the beer. Is there a large risk of infection since the bag was saturated, or should the star san and ringing out of the bag help? I know hops are a natural presevative.

I should also mention that the beer is a 8.5% (fully fermented) IIPA.

Thanks

What about mold? I'm mostly concerned about that. It fell on my fermentation chamber floor... which had some mold grow last batch due to overflow on blow off. I used 409 cleaner to wipe it out, but it still has a grass smell to it a little. Is mold killed by abv?

Mold is a fungus like yeast. I'm guessing that its tolerance to alcohol and pH is very dependent on the species. So, I'm going to give you some solace by saying that it's highly unlikely that mold from the ground would survive your high-ABV beer.

On the other hand, I'm a stamp collector. What the heck do I know.

Back