dry hop recomendations for APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinzonCachondo

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just brewed an APA yesterday and am looking to experiment with dry hopping (it's my 9th batch overall and will be my first time dry hopping) so I need some recommendations on what & how much to use. I have 6 gallons sitting in the fermenter that was made with the following:

30g (~1 oz) chinook at 60 min
38g (1.3 oz) cascade at 15 min
20 g (0.7 oz) cascade at flameout.

What would you recommend?
TIA.

I'm not sure what kind or how much hops to use as I only follow recipe kits - I know... boring. But when I did dry hop the SMASH Pale Ale kit from N. Brewer, I would suggest sanitizing and putting a paint strainer bag around your racking cane so no hop floaties get into your bottling bucket. I wish I had done the same thing with my raspberry wheat as bits of raspberry kept clogging up the racking cane. Good luck on your hopping! Most of your hops will probably sink to the bottom, but better safe than sorry.

1oz Centennial
1oz Amarillo
5-7 days :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pellet hops will break up and should be fine without using a strainer bag. I would say that centennial would be a great choice, but that's my go-to hop so it's almost always good in my eyes :D

Thanks for the replies. All good info!

I have a few hop sacks and will tie one around the end of the easy siphon when I rack to bottling, just in case. Thanks for the tip eadavis.

Hmm, centenial vs centenial + amarillo. Maybe I'll do a secondary, split it into two 3gal and try them both.

I just keg dry hopped a Columbus pale ale with Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo. It smelled amazing.

@chickypad: that would be ideal since I already have both Chinook and Cascade in stock. But I've heard that Chinook tastes more piney in dry hop and I think I'm looking more for the citrussy flavored hops.

@BreezyBrew: Thanks for another good suggestion. Centenial + Amarillo combinations seem to be very popular. I think I might play it safe and go with that for now.

Spent yesterday afternoon on the phone with all three LHBS's that I have access to here in Chile, and all I can get is Amarillo. I still have some cascade left over so it's probably going to be an ounce each of Cascade & Amarillo for 5 days. Sound good?

Back