Quantcast

Dry Hop Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ahoffman565

Reaction score
I transferred beer into my secondary fermenter on Saturday, Feb. 9. At that time, I also added 1/2 oz. of hop pellets. Over the next few days, I watched the pellets begin to break apart, spread out over the top of the beer and then slowly disappear as they sunk to the bottom. However, I've noticed over the last 2 days that there seems to be something forming on the top. It looks the same as the hops did, but it's brown (presumably from soaking in the beer) and clumpy. Is this something for concern? I would have thought that the hops would have sunken and stayed there. To my knowledge, the fermenter hasn't been touched since I put it in its place. Has anyone else seen this before?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I've seen it before, nothing to worry about. It's most likely yeast particles being carried back up to the surface of the beer.

Evan

Reaction score
yeah, shouldn't be a big deal. if this is your first time dry hopping, when you move the beer to your bottling bucket, you may want to consider sliding a grain bag around the end of your cane, it'll filter out of the large chunks of hops.

Latest posts