Dry Hop question/concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
So I just added dry hops to my hazy IPA homebrew. I brewed on Saturday and today is Wednesday. I just put in 4 OZ of Ahtanum pellet hops, 2 oz of citra pellet hops, and 2 oz of mosaic whole flower hops(because the homebrew shop was out of pellets). This was my first-time dry-hopping with whole flower hops and I don't know if I made a mistake. I put in the mosaic whole flower hops first and they just started floating, then I put in the other pellet hops. The thing is the whole flower mosaic hops kind of blocked the pellet hops from going into the wort. Would it be smart for me to sanitize my mash spoon and just give the hops a quick stir to try and get the pellets into the wort or do you think I will be ok and eventually they will end up going in? The beer is fermenting right now at around 70 F.

Pellets or whole cones, hops float when first introduced. I always use pellets for dry hopping, and within an hour the initial round will form a hop mush cap atop the beer. I use 6.5g italian glass, so I give the carboys a slight rocking - only moving the neck a couple of inches - but 2-3 rocks will form a nice wave that flips the hop mush over, and temporarily sink. So not a big to-do, it's really quite subtle - a knack that shouldn't take much to get. I repeat this a few times each day until it's cold-crashing-under-CO2 time.

But, again, that's pellets. Cones will tend to mess with that technique, I expect, but given the hops are in the fermentor it's probably the best that can be done...

Cheers!

Back