Dry Hop Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris300s

Reaction score
Last night I made a last minute decision to dry hop my primary. Due to a contruction project my fermenter's moved up to my office, and my office smells awesome! It's very distracting, while on conference calls I keep rolling over to sniff the airlock.
I know that Co2 is going to strip a lot of aroma but I'm still planning to dry hop secondary and the keg.
To make this more usefull I'll pose a question. Do any/many of you split your dry hopping similarly and/or do you do a lot of late addition hopping?
This is the Zymurgy 2-Hearted recipe.
  • 1.1 oz. Centennial 9% - 60min
  • 1.1 oz. Centennial 9% - 15 min
  • .6 oz. Centennial 9% - Dry primary
  • .6 oz. Centennial 9% - Dry secondary
  • .6 oz. Centennial 9% - Dry keg

Chris

So just to be straight you put the dry hop in the primary at the same time as the yeast? I dry hop in the primary all the time but I wait till the action has died down.

So just to be straight you put the dry hop in the primary at the same time as the yeast?
That's correct. I looked at the empty primary, looked at the half bag of hops in my hand and then dumped them right in.
I guess I was wondering more about late addition hops. I've done this recipe several times before and dry hopped in secondary and then again in the keg. This time I'm just adding one more hop addition.

Chris

That's interesting. I usually just keg secondary so that it's not stripped in the ferment. I actually did my Dawn of the Dead ale without a boil addition of late hops, just threw them in secondary.

Get those hops in there any way you can. The more the better. I'm just cheap. It's hard to be cheap when you love hops so much these days...sigh.

Just looking for other's input regarding late additions. Honestly I'm thinking "F**K DFH 120 min. IPA, why not focus solely on the secondary and kegging additions. I'm hop crazy right now, so I'm thinking of installing a Randall on the inside of my kegerator door.

I've never dry hopped the primary before. I've always just gone to secondary to do it, or sometimes I'll drop them in the keg if it doesn't turn out as hoppy as I'd planned.

Check this out...
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

from Jamil Zainasheff's website. He is a big fan of late hop additions. I also recall him saying on his podcasted show that he puts dry hops in as fermentation is slowing in the primary. I've not put them straight into primary when I pitched, but let us know how it turns out.

Back