Dry hop mild ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I have a mild ale which is about 3.5% alcohol. I put cascade as the bittering hops and added more at 15 minutes. 1 oz each time. I bought 1oz of citra leaf hops (13.4%). I want to use some to dry hop for the first time. How much and for how long?

if you're going for a mild, you should have only added the bittering charge.
since hop aroma is supposed to be virtually nonexistent in a mild, I would say forget about dry hopping it. as it stands, with having added an aroma addition at 15 minutes, your beer is almost certainly too hop forward for the style. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. I say don't dryhop; see what effect the aroma addition had on the beer, and if it doesn't taste hoppy enough for you, then maybe think about adding some more hops

Yeah, you've departed pretty far from style with all those hop additions and hop selection...but that doesn't mean it can't be a very tasty beer this way. As far as dry hopping, I'd approach somewhat reserved because it's a small beer. but, since your beyond the style, you're free to do whatever you want to get the taste you want. If you just want some hop aroma, use 1/2 oz. If you want a lot, use the whole oz.

Thanks. I decided to deviate from style and make a hoppy version of a highly drinkable low alcohol content beer. I started off deviating from style at the beginning and use the mild term loosely. I will try 1/2 oz and see if it adds enough aroma. Thanks.

Thanks. I decided to deviate from style and make a hoppy version of a highly drinkable low alcohol content beer. I started off deviating from style at the beginning and use the mild term loosely. I will try 1/2 oz and see if it adds enough aroma. Thanks.

let us know how it urns out.

Smells wonderful. Good taste. It has stout grains for coloring. I took the third runnings. It is clearing now and aging in the cold

It's awesome. I can't replicate it as easily though. The only change is I would dry hop closer to kegging. The aroma faded some. To come close, you take a 4th runnings in an oatmeal stout and add the wort to 6lbs of 2 row that has been mashed at 154. Cascade to bitter and your favorite citrusy hop for aroma.

:) that's pretty cool. It'd be fun to try to guess what a recipe would be?
3% flaked oats, 2% chocolate, 2% crystal, 1% roast barley, and the rest 2row?

I had some Munich also. Probably close. I think it measured about 1.020 SG in 2 gallons. I plan to just brew it when I make a stout. It is kind of a partigyle.

Update. It is a dang good beer. I do not know how to classify this, but it is good.

The last runnings from the oatmeal stout adds some complexity to the beer. You will get a slight hint of stout as you drink it. The color is nice also. Surprising keeps a slight head. I will upload a picture.

Here is a picture of it. You get a taste of chocolate malt and roasted barley without the color from them. It is slight.

image.jpg

Back