Dry Hop Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just kegged a beer and dropped 1 ounce of Cascade plugs into it on Saturday. I've never dry hopped this way and don't know how long to do it for. I'm leaving Wed. morning for 3 days. Should I pull out the hops now, or leave them until Friday.

I also want to start carbing the keg, but can't with the hops in there. The sack is tied to fishing line and weighted down, so I can't keg a good seal until they are out.

Leave 'em in there, I do it all the time.

Wait, I can't picture why you have to remove them before sealing the keg?

Yeah, just go ahead and leave 'em in there, seal up and start carbing away. I've heard of folks leaving them in for over 3 months with no ill effects.

I've heard stories of the bag getting sucked up the dip tube when pouring beer......

I guess no wax dental floss is what you should use. I have never done it but a good brewer I know suggested it to me yesterday

I guess no wax dental floss is what you should use. I have never done it but a good brewer I know suggested it to me yesterday

I use unwaxed dental floss every time when I dry hop in my kegs. Usually I leave enough slack in the floss so it will be submerged until about 2/3 of the keg is gone.

Back