Dry hop in the keg - best way to accomplish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I recently dry hopped a batch of pale ale that I had transferred and aged in the keg for a while. I used the 2" SS herb ball with an oz of pellet hops. I didnt just want to drop the ball into the keg because it would of course drop to the bottom. So, what I did was grab some fishing line and attached it to the herb ball to keep it suspended in the brew, but keeping a 'lifeline' of sorts when it comes time to remove the ball. Unfortunately with this method I wasnt able to get any sort of seal on my keg when I pressurized it. I ultimately ended up losing the ball to the bottom of the keg when playing with the 'best' setup.

Fast forward to the other day, and I was reaching into a keg of cold wet beer (and a long scoop) to retrieve the herb ball. I would like to not have to stick my hand into my beer next time. :cross:

What to the regular keg hoppers do?
Thanks
-Me

Unwaxed/unflavored dental floss works great for this. I've never had an issue with it preventing the lid from sealing.

Other people have welded hooks onto the lid. One of the most innovative ideas I've seen on here was someone put a zip tie around the relief nub that hangs down and attached fishing line or something to it.

You can pick up one of these: Keg lid with welded tab

Or just have one made for you at a local welder.

Interesting ideas! Im thinking that JBWelding a tab to the top of a keg might work as well, but then again having something professionally welded would work even better. (Im just a bit cheap and lazy though)
-Me

Back