Dry hop in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds1

Reaction score
I have recently switched to extended primary and no secondary for my beers but I haven't dry hopped anything since making this move. I've got a batch of rye ipa that is ready to dry hop and I was wondering if there would be any ill effects from throwing the dry hops in the primary for 5-7 days and then kegging, or should I rack it to secondary and then dry hop?

That's what I've been doing, unless I'm washing the yeast. I just (gently) put the hops into the fermenter when I'm about a week away from packaging. It's been working great! I just dryhopped a rye IPA yesterday that way.

Yooper said:
That's what I've been doing, unless I'm washing the yeast. I just (gently) put the hops into the fermenter when I'm about a week away from packaging. It's been working great! I just dryhopped a rye IPA yesterday that way.

Are you just tossing the hops in or are you bagging them before putting them in?

Thanks!

i just dry hopped my rye ipa last night- 4 oz of pellets in 5 ga = sludge. i almost always just DH in the primary. the only times i don't are if i'm taking the yeast, or if i simply just need the primary. never bags.

I use pellet hops with no bag and have had no issues with hop derbris. This is just my technique. Use the search function and you will find a whole slew of posts on methods to dry hop in the primary.

Alternatively, based on Yooper's advice, I've started keg hopping. I bag the hops, and toss them in the keg when I put the keg in the fridge, (which is either right after racking, or weeks/months later, depending on pipeline). The bag is important in the keg, or else the hops will clog the poppet. I used to screw around with using floss to fish the bag out, but based on Yoop saying she just left the hops in there, I started doing that.

The "grassy" off flavors you seem to get from 2+ weeks of dry hopping at room temp don't seem to happen when the beer is cold. Dry hopped in the fridge, with the hops left in, and the hop flavor lasts for many many weeks with no grassyness, and it's super easy to not worry about either racking around the hops or having to fish the bag back out of the keg after a couple weeks.

So when saving the yeast from the primary, is it better to dry hop in a secondary or the keg? I have 1 oz of pellets, and I have a bag to put them in, but I'm torn on secondary vs keg, and bag vs no bag....

Latest posts

Back