Dry Hop Genius?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I feel like I just had either a brilliant idea, or a completely idiotic idea:
I have had problems with dry hopped beers clogging up my beer lines when I keg. But it always clogs at the poppet.
Is there any reason to install a poppet in the line out fitting? This would let me cold crash in the actual serving keg and then I could pull the yeast and dry hops in the first pint. As long as the keg isn't under pressure when the ball lock fitting is removed, I shouldn't have any issues, correct?

If you remove the poppet from the keg post, you must also remove the one in the disconnect that attaches to the post. As long as you are careful and make sure that there is no pressure in the keg and the PRV is open, you can remove the disconnect without creating a beer geyser.

I've had a similar issue with small bits of hops that escape a hop sock or are siphoned up with a bit of trub during racking.

Solution? I cut my liquid out tube back by 3/8" and added a screen over the end of it. No more poppit clogs!

Here's one example of this line out screen: https://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Dip-Tube-Screen_p_2091.html

The poppet pushes on the tit on the inside of the quick disconnect. One won't work without the other. You would have to remove some of the internals of the QD also.
Unless you remove the poppet, put some tubing over the post and use just enough pressure to push the gunk out until it runs clear and the put the poppet back in.
I'm just spitballing here as I've never done it myself.

Latest posts

Back