Dry Hop Aroma fades fast - Oxygen Police around ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Here's the very brief info on my process

Made 11 gals NEIPA using RO, 6 gr CaCl, 3 gr Gypsum. PH after mash 5.3ish
Keg conditioned, split in two 5.5 gal cornies, with the right amount of table sugar and placed a mesh tube with 4 oz of hops into each keg, then CO2 transferred it from carboy. Flushed the keg few times 2-3-4 times for clear any left over O2 in the head space.

After 3 days, sample it (at room temp and obviously there were tones of hop particles) and tested amazing. Big nose, great hop aroma. Then I've place it in the kegorator and tried it next day. Still good. Then few days later that big aroma is gone.

1. As you can see from the subject line I suspect Oxygen but I transfer with CO2, flushed and conditioned in the keg so the Oxygen should me minimal and the yeast should use whatever is left during the priming.
  2. Is it that I poured too early ?
  3. I hear that low alkalinity water could make the hop aroma fade but I think I having the right amount of salts.
  4. Too little hop amount ? The plan is to double the hops next time but don't want to wast that if I have a flaw in the process.

Any takes, anyone observed similar cases?

Last edited:
Can you provide us with the entire recipe: yeast, hop schedule, grain bill, etc.?`

Seeing that you keg the beer and use CO2 to flush everything, you should have great beer far longer than a few days. I know I struggle with bottling, but kegging ( have a friend that has kegs ) should allow you to enjoy hop goodness for many weeks.

Well that's what I thought

I don't remember the exact GB but 2 row (12lbs?), wheat (4lbs) oats(2lbs?)
Yeast 007, 25 mins boil, 1 oz at boil time. 2 oz at 0min, 4 oz whirlpool for 30 mins 175F.
4 oz dry hop 3 days. (won't remove it from keg till I finish it) - EDIT: per keg (5.5gal)

I don't see why this won't work, main suspect is Oxygen but color wise and taste wise doesn't feel like oxydation.

Last edited:
4 oz is per 5.5 (my bad) So I will double that next time. I won't open the keg and I don't have an "infuser"

What’s your gravity? That’s a crap ton of malt for 5 gallon batch.
I highlighted the essential info on the original post. The batch was split in two kegs, each keg dry hopped with 4 oz of citra+mosaic(2:2 ratio)

I highlighted the essential info on the original post. The batch was split in two kegs, each keg dry hopped with 4 oz of citra+mosaic(2:2 ratio)

Gotcha .... sorry I misread..so you are not making a triple IPA ... probably 5-6% just right for NEIPA style I think

TBH 4oz of hops in one keg is a lot. I find even 1oz in a keg adds a lot. In a 10 gallon batch I can even drink first keg and then when getting ready to drink second keg open it up, put in a tea ball with 1oz hops, close it up and get good hop aroma for the second keg. Maybe increase your biotransformation hop instead of more in the keg?

In your original post you mentioned keg conditioning and then CO2 transfering from the carboy. Not sure I understand that. Did you...
1. Purge keg (best practice is probably full keg starsan or water push)
2. Pressure transfer from Carboy into keg
3. Open keg to add priming sugar and keg hops
4. Close keg and purge headspace

chill keg and start serving after ?? days

Also for 11 gallon batch the salts sound low to me. I have very soft water but slightly more minerals than RO and for regular IPAs I use 12 grams Gypsum and 6 grams CaCl2. Your pH was fine and the issue you are describing sounds more like aroma than flavor so probably not your issue.

In your original post you mentioned keg conditioning and then CO2 transfering from the carboy. Not sure I understand that. Did you...
1. Purge keg (best practice is probably full keg starsan or water push)
2. Pressure transfer from Carboy into keg
3. Open keg to add priming sugar and keg hops
4. Close keg and purge headspace

No worries, thanks for taking time and replying.

Yes, is about the aroma, it seems that's fading from what I had in the first few glasses.

My process is simple and I can't do a full keg push with starsan due to the the way I dryhop the keg

1.In a clean keg, I add the priming agent, and the hops in a SS mesh tube.
2. Using C02, pushed the beer from the carboy to the keg.
3. Pushed CO2, checked if is tight and then purge it few times

Let it condition (took 3 days) - I should have one of those pressure gauges on the gas post but I didn't check. Chilled 1 day then I took a glass, it was a bit "gunky" but that usually clears in few glasses.

I will up my salts next time. For IPA I do something close to what yo do 15 gypsum, 5 CaCl. (For Neipa CaCl is heavy the ratio is 200ppm:100ppm, my calculation were 10gr CaCl, 5gr Gypsum and I just checked my brew log)

Last edited:
I am right there with you: had a great NEIPA going into keg, now, after carbing, it is NEIPA-lite, lol

Going to dry hop the heck out of it to see if it get better

4 oz is per 5.5 (my bad) So I will double that next time. I won't open the keg and I don't have an "infuser"
So you are dry hopping once? (for a 5 gallon keg full) Maybe try your boil hops, a few oz at whirlpool, 3 or 4 oz dry hop in fermenter after a couple days, then transfer to keg on 2nd (3-4 oz) dry hop in stainless mesh hop tube.

I don't brew more than one keg worth per batch of this type of beer. I usually brew 11 - 12 gallon batches, but not ne ipas.

Also, I started my last one with 6 gallons in the fermenter. Ended up with about 4.75 gallons after hop absorption loss.

I don't like the sound of racking to an air filled keg. Natural carbonation or not.

Last edited:
Back