Dry Hop and floatie stuff (not infection) doesnt want to settle out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I dry hopped without using a Hop Bag (I didnt know they existed until afterward) in my secondary, and I have alot of the hops still floating on the top, its been two and a half weeks in the secondary but I would kinda like rack into a bucket for a week before bottling to get the stuff, and some of the floaties (not infection) i let into my secondary out. This is a bad idea?, or Pointless?

I wouldn't bother, the more times you rack, the more you risk oxidation. When you rack to the bottling bucket, you can either leave the hop residue behind, or, if it's floating, it won't get into your bottles anyway.

It will settle out in the bottles if you want to go straight to bottling. Just be careful when you rack to make sure you don't suck it up. It usually isn't a big deal at all. What/how much did you dry hop with?

Give your carboy a gentle rocking. That might get some of the stuff to let go of the surface and settle out. It doesn't sound like you are too worried about that stuff, though, and that's good. It's harmless, just some yeast and hops.

Don't rack into the bottling bucket for a week, though. That exposes your beer to oxygen for too long. It's safe in the secondary, as some CO2 typically gasses out during racking, and maybe a little more fermentation goes on in there to help out, as well. Rack into your bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle, and not before.

TL

I dry hopped with an ounce and a half of Ek goldings. And im not very concerned ive adapted the RDWHAHB train of thought, another question, is putting the carboy outside (Its cold here in newfoundland) good enough to crash cool before bottling

Vorsicht709 said:
I dry hopped with an ounce and a half of Ek goldings. And im not very concerned ive adapted the RDWHAHB train of thought, another question, is putting the carboy outside (Its cold here in newfoundland) good enough to crash cool before bottling

Possibly, however how cold is it (will the carboy crack at -20˚C)? The other concern is that the longer you let it chill out in the cold, and the more yeast that comes out of suspension, the longer it will take to bottle condition. When I lager and my beer sits in the carboy for 6+ weeks at 2˚C, I usually add 1 packet of yeast to the bottling bucket at bottling time.

A couple of days in the cold probably won't cause all the yeast to drop out and necessitate adding more, but it probably won't do that much for your clarifying either.

Back