Dry hop add flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Does dry hopping just add aroma or does
It add flavor as well? Which part of the boil will give you the most flavor ?

IME, you get some flavor from it too... At least with what I've dry hopped (pale ales) with whole hops. It's a different flavor note than you'll get from the boil though, and can fade rather quickly.

It definatly adds flavor, more than aroma from my experience. I almost always dry hop in keg in serving fridge. May be I should try dry hop in carboy at room temperature

If any flavor it would be ever so slight. Alot of times its a placebo/precieved effect.

I think the flavor/aroma you get from dry hopping depends on how much you're using, and if it's whole or pellet hops. I've used 2-3oz for 6 gallons into keg (two 3 gallon kegs). With the last batch I dry hopped, by the time the first keg was finished, the flavor/aroma from the dry hops was really faded. So, I added another ounce of whole EKG to the second keg as it was going into the brew fridge to finish carbonating and to go on tap.

The flavor could be an effect from the aroma. Since smell is an important element in taste.

Alot of times what we smell = flavor. So does it add.... well not really but smell and taste are pretty intertwined.

Best way I can explain it. I would like to know more information if this is different as I don't know how without the heat its going to add to the flavor.

This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Every hop added while the wort is hot adds bitterness. Not just the 60 minute addition. And every addition( mash, first wort, boil, flame out, dry hop) adds aroma. It's just in varying degrees.

Flavor means the combination of what we taste with our taste buds, what we smell with our nose and many free chemical receptors. So if it has aroma it has flavor.

The only taste we get from hops is bitterness.

This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Every hop added while the wort is hot adds bitterness. Not just the 60 minute addition. And every addition( mash, first wort, boil, flame out, dry hop) adds aroma. It's just in varying degrees.

Flavor means the combination of what we taste with our taste buds, what we smell with our nose and many free chemical receptors. So if it has aroma it has flavor.

The only taste we get from hops is bitterness.

So you can taste a fart.

so if i want more of a specific flavor to my beer, i.e. pineapple/citrus flavor, should I add this hops closer to the end of the boil, for say the like 20-30 minutes?

so if i want more of a specific flavor to my beer, i.e. pineapple/citrus flavor, should I add this hops closer to the end of the boil, for say the like 20-30 minutes?

Flavor additions are typically in the 10-20 minutes from the end of the boil. Aroma is typically 0-10 minutes from the end. If you want more of the flavor, or aroma, addition, use more of the hops. At 20-30 minutes, you'll get more bittering than flavor addition from the hop (a waste IMO).

If you want to try FWH too sometime after the mash add some of your hopflavor hop additons after the mash & before it begins to boil,just make shure to tame the hot break as it hits boil.

Yooper said:
That's not so. I can taste flavors in hops- "dirty" fuggles hops, piney chinook, grapefruity amarillo. It's not just bitterness combined with aroma- they have a flavor too. If they didn't, we would only have one kind of hops.

No you can't taste piney or grapefruit or any of those. You can taste sweet, sour, salty, bitter, unami and possibly fat and calcium. Everything else is detected by tour olfactory sense. In other words, you smell it.

No you can't taste piney or grapefruit or any of those. You can taste sweet, sour, salty, bitter, unami and possibly fat and calcium. Everything else is detected by tour olfactory sense. In other words, you smell it.

This man has it on the nose!

I taste citrus often that definatly comes from the hops, i believe the bittering has its flavor character as well, and when you can detect pine and grapefruit taste along with the bittering- i detect BS. So are you saying when we taste we are holding it in our mouth but its reaching our noses inside from our mouth during the taste? Because i get hop flavor in the middle and towards the end before bittering, and unless my nose is telling me how it tastes even after i stick my nose and mouth in the beer and pull away then that is what im getting,flavors. After the aroma is gone its between my mouth the beer and me. Last i knew is grapefruit has a taste as well as a smell. What about spice im having a hoppy beer with rye and im getting a spice peppery taste(long(well,seconds after taking a drink) im definatly not smelling it. Although taking whiffs of it i do smell that as well.

Yes you are smelling it while it is in your mouth. You have olfactory detectors going from your nose to your throat. And let's not forget that your mouth and sinus cavity are connected.

Look. I am not making this up. Do a little research into it. It's very well understood and documented.

Yes you are smelling it while it is in your mouth. You have olfactory detectors going from your nose to your throat. And let's not forget that your mouth and sinus cavity are connected.

Look. I am not making this up. Do a little research into it. It's very well understood and documented.

I was not just poking fun... I am totally with ya on this one. I thought it was common knowledge.

Regardless of if you are tasting it or smelling it, dry hopping will add flavor to the beer, not just aroma. Indeed hop additions in general will add varying amounts of bitterness, flavor, and aroma. The longer hops are boiled, the more alpha acids are isomerized, which gives bitterness. However, the longer hops are boiled, the more volatile, aromatic compounds are driven off. So to retain these aroma and flavor compounds, hops are added late and boiled less. As mentioned above, flavor additions tend to be added in the 15-30 minute range and aroma additions are added in the 0-15 minute range. Of course, it's really a continuum from 0-60 minutes (or however long your boil is)

I'm making kit beers, on the cheap. I want to add some better flavours, so my Noob brain kicked into high gear and figured easiest thing to do was hop the crap out of them. When I punch my recipe idea into a calculator, I was trying to ramp up the IBU number, assuming that was a reflection of the hop flavour.

More correctly though, the flavour from the hop and the bittering quality of the IBU number are two different things?

LTownLiquorPig said:
I'm making kit beers, on the cheap. I want to add some better flavours, so my Noob brain kicked into high gear and figured easiest thing to do was hop the crap out of them. When I punch my recipe idea into a calculator, I was trying to ramp up the IBU number, assuming that was a reflection of the hop flavour.

More correctly though, the flavour from the hop and the bittering quality of the IBU number are two different things?

Yes, they are two different things. IBUs are a measure of bitterness and are independent of flavor and aroma. The compounds responsible for bitterness (alpha acids) are different than those responsible for flavor and aroma (essential oils).

I agree that our sense of smell is linked to our sense of taste. Over & above the fact that we also eat with our eyes. So the dry hop aroma adds to our sense of taste. But I do think some small amount of flavor comes from it too. It's like a raw edge to the hop flavors.

Regardless of where and how they are actually detected biochemically (which is completely irrelevant in this context, because beer evaluation is based on perception, which is in turn based on association, memory, psychology, mood, context, etc), dry hopping does add a distinct "taste" character you perceive while drinking the beer (having the liquid in your mouth and swallowing it) as opposed to just smelling the beer while it's still in the glass.

Regardless of where and how they are actually detected biochemically (which is completely irrelevant in this context, because beer evaluation is based on perception, which is in turn based on association, memory, psychology, mood, context, etc), dry hopping does add a distinct "taste" character you perceive while drinking the beer (having the liquid in your mouth and swallowing it) as opposed to just smelling the beer while it's still in the glass.

Yes, that was my point. Maybe biochemically it's smell, but certainly I would argue that spaghetti sauce doesn't taste like chicken soup.

That's my point with the different hops- they ARE different and they DO impact flavor.

Dryhopping does impact flavor of the beer. So do late hops.

Back