Dry hop a rye pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelmole

Reaction score
I just brewed the AHS rye pale ale kit. I had a taste from the fermenter the other day, and felt the hop taste and aroma were a bit lacking, this may have been due to an extended wort chilling duration (ran out of ice).

I was wondering about dry hopping it. It's been in primary for about 2.5 weeks. The hop bill for the recipe is:

1oz Cluster @ 60 min
1oz Cascade @ 15min
1oz Willamette @ 5min

What would you add as a dry hop to this? I have 1oz of Hallertaur and 1oz of Fuggle in the fridge, but I have a LHBS nearby if something else would work better.

The fuggle would work well with the willamette. The whole cascade/willamette combo you've got going is still a little odd to me, though. I'm not saying I think it will be bad, it's just a combination I've never though to try.

That is an odd combination, two English hops and one PNW. If you are looking for more of an American IPA aroma, then Cascade, Amarillo, Perle or another citrus hop is the way to go. Fuggle would be more in keeping with the Cluster/Willamette.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (which won gold at the Great American Beer Fest) uses amarillo which i have in my fermenter right now... but i dont know how to formulate recipies.. i just steal everyone elses lol

I have been drinking the rye pale which I brewed a couple months ago recently and while the hops has faded the presense is still fairly strong. I find with the astringency rye can provide bittering additions do not need to be that high. I chose to go with hopbursting and add the majority late. I am extremely happy with mine. I used Amarillo and Citra, both work extremely well with the style. The hop schedule used in the post is a bit different than what I would use. Personally I would go with a c-hop with the style.

Thanks folks. I just dropped the fuggle in today. Gonna add gelatin and crash cool it early next week and bottle it probably next Friday or Saturday.

Got an update. I started crash cooling it on Sunday. All the hop sludge settled to the bottom, but there's a bit of a problem.

I'm trying not to be "that guy" that posts about an infection when he doesn't know what he's talking about, but I'm wondering if I've got the signs of one. There's some floating residue on top, could just be hop oil, still has some bits of hop stuck in it, but the odd thing is that between the islands of this stuff I'm starting to see some faint cobweb looking stuff along the surface of the beer, long, thin, silvery veins stretching out across the surface. No hairy bubbles or anything yet.

I'd take a picture for you guys, but it's kinda hard. My initial fermentation was very vigorous, and all the hop sludge got plastered to the top of the fermenter, so visibility is pretty poor. If I shine a flashlight through the side of the fermenter and peer through the side of the neck I can make out the surface of the beer, but I doubt I could photograph it well.

I soaked all my beer bottles in oxiclean today, gonna sanitize them and bottle tomorrow. I took a hydrometer reading, got 1.012, and tasted the sample. It didn't really taste "off" as far as I could tell. Had a bit of a strange after taste that I can't describe, but that could just be some green beer taste.

In any case, I plan to bottle this stuff and see what happens. I'm gonna nuke all my gear with bleach afterward to be safe.

Back