Dry hop a Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
I have an extract recipe in the primary. (Austin Homebrew Supply - Texas Blonde).
I chose this ale because I have never brewed a "Golden". The recipe does not include any grains. (Also a first for me in my 19 batches).

Since I like hops and usually dry hop most of my brews, does anyone have an opinion on dry hopping this Blonde with 1 oz. of Amarillo?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

No, but I've dry HUMPed a few in my younger days. Budump Tshhh.

You'd be violating the BJCP per the blonde style but whatever right? You could add a slightly less pronounced aroma with like a 1/2oz kettle steep addition.

guidelines schmidelines ;)

I say give it a shot. Personally I would start off with 1/2 oz and see where that takes you

barely said:
I would taste it first. If that doesn't decide the point, try splitting the batch.

How's that for a non-answer? :D

its a hell of a good answer! granted the beer is still green, but give it a taste before you attempt to alter the flavor profile. remember hops do mellow after the first month or so...so if its a little bitter now, you probably shouldn't touch it.

if its too sweet now, go for the dry hop!

My thoughts are: you are brewing a style you haven't made before, so stick with the style. I like hops, but I don't dry hop everything, because I like other styles. Given the basic style, I suspect an ounce of Amarillo will overwhelm all other elements of the brew.

You might discover you like straight blonds.

I liked this brew... did you use the WL kolsch yeast?
If so I think a little dry hop would be nice.
I agree that .5 oz would be the best place to start.
It is a nice easy drinking brew.

Don't fit guidelines, but if you are just brewing for yourself (not a contest), do what you like.

I do a toned down APA and my kids love it. They also love my Blonde Ale (none of them are hop heads..........yet)

Just don't enter into a contest expecting good results.

This is not going into any contest. I brew to consume and enjoy.:mug:
I did use the German Ale/Kolsh Yeast. Whitelabs WLP029 liquid.

I will take the advice on tasting first then maybe .5 oz amarillo.

To me beer without character is a drag. Since I started homebrewing, most of the popular beers (ie; bud light, miller lite, etc) taste much worse than they used to:eek:

Also, many of you understand...........just brewing a "recipe" is not as satisfying to me as manipulating it at tad and having a truly unique brew.

Thanks again. HBT.com is awesome. I will be paying up to support the site soon.:ban:

Alabama Brewer said:
Also, many of you understand...........just brewing a "recipe" is not as satisfying to me as manipulating it at tad and having a truly unique brew.

On one hand, brewing a known recipe to a predicable & repeatable outcome is a skill many brewers never focus on and some never develop. On the other, playing mad scientist is usually fun no matter what the outcome.

Either way, when you brew and it refelcts your skills & techniques as a brewer, it's a truly unique brew.

Cheers.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you aren't going to enter it, do what you want. I most like the idea of splitting the batch. That way, you get to enjoy it both ways and learn something about what that dry hopping did to the beer.

But if you want the hops, toss 'em in there and enjoy!

TL

but Dry Humping a blonde was a quite enjoyable if painful experience when I was about 15.

Back