Dry Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello,

I am following the Cincinnati Pale Ale recipe in John Palmer's book "how to brew" (It's on page 7 for all that want to see it).

He calls for 2 new packets of dry ale yeast.

He doesnt say how many grams or what. Can somebody find this yeast for me on this website: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

There are tons of "dry ale yeasts" of all sizes on that site.

I am buying all my other stuff from midwest, so please pick a yeast from their website.

Thanks for the help!

Assuming you are brewing a 5 gallon batch, you should be fine with one 11g packet of Safale US-05.

This one.

However, really any of the yeasts would do fine. You will get different characteristics in the final product, but that's one of the great things about homebrewing. :)

Thanks! one more question.

on the package of yeast it says to sprinkle the yeast into the fermenter. In John Palmer's book he says to Rehydrate the dried yeast.

Are one of these methods better than the other? Which method should I follow?

Sorry for the questions. This will be my VERY FIRST batch of home brew. I want to get it right! :)

To avoid any issues with rehydrating too warm or cooling it off too fast, just sprinkle into the wort from a steralized packet, I float mine in star san along with my scissors and anything else that is post boil. get this batch in the books first, then you can start rehydrating yeast, and getting into more technical aspects of the brew. dont stress about this first batch, just follow the recipe instructions and pitch the yeast dry. one less variable to worry over!

I rehydrate my yeast, but I also have a very accurate quick-read thermometer. Rehydrating will give the best results, but just sprinkling it into the fermenter won't result in a bad batch, either.

If you read carefully Palmer calls for 2 packets of yeast in the event that you screw the first one up (so you only actually need to use 1 packet). I used 05 when I made this one and it turned out great. I hydrated prior to pitching because I have always done this with dry yeast when baking. Montanaandy

I just sprinkle my 05 into some pre-boiled water at about 80F and let it sit for 10 mins or so, and then mix well and throw into the fermenter

Thanks! one more question.

on the package of yeast it says to sprinkle the yeast into the fermenter. In John Palmer's book he says to Rehydrate the dried yeast.

Are one of these methods better than the other? Which method should I follow?

Sorry for the questions. This will be my VERY FIRST batch of home brew. I want to get it right! :)

One thing you will find out, is that in brewing there really is no "better" or "best" method...Only the preferred method. It's a matter of trying different way on different batches until you figure out what you like doing...then that becomes a part of your unique brewing process....

Even a book like Palmer's is really just HIS process, explained...just because he does it one way, doesn't mean there's not several other equally valid ways of doing the same thing/ (In fact there is a saying in brewing, "ask 10 different Homebrewer's the same question, you will get 12 different answers....and they all will be correct.)

Outside of dropping the yeast into boiling wort...you can't really screw brewing up, despite any nervous jitters you may have, your beer is hardier than you might believe.

Before you get all "first time parent" on your beer and start to panic about every little thing, read this thread and see, that despite what bonehead things that we might do, it still come out as beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

:mug:

+1 to US-05 sprinkled on top of your cooled, aerated wort. I usually rehydrate, but with a normal-gravity brew, I also just pitch from the packet sometimes. I just did this recently and my ale turned out quite well. Enjoy the process and try not to get stressed about every possible thing that can go wrong. Reverend Revvy speaks the truth.

I only worry about re-hydrating for wine and big beers otherwise a regular gravity beer like a pale just make it easy on yourself and sprinkle it on top of the wort and it will work great. I've done it countless times with US05 and it worked every time.

When I remember and have the time I rehydrate. In truth have never noticed any real difference. The beers with S-05 or S-04 have always finished to expected FG numbers with excellent results.

Back