Dropping Yeast and Trub Before Dry Hopping in a Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there an actual reason to drop the yeast and trub from a conical before pouring hop pellets in to dry hop? I understand you should do this if you are looking to harvest your yeast, but if you are not harvesting at this point, is there a reason to drop the trub and yeast before dry hopping after fermentation? The trub is already on the bottom of the conical, followed by heavier yeast and most of the yeast in suspension with the hop debris should fall out when cold crashing after days of dry hopping. As long as the total debris and hop matter remains below the racking arm, I do not see this as a problem.

maybe just to ENSURE the hop matter remains below racking arm? better to avoid the risk?

Why leave that stuff in contact with your beer any longer than necessary? A lot of people say it's doesn't hurt anything, but since you're fermenting in a conical and you can relatively easily get rid of it, why not? That's the number one reason I'm looking to move to a conical.

Why leave that stuff in contact with your beer any longer than necessary? A lot of people say it's doesn't hurt anything, but since you're fermenting in a conical and you can relatively easily get rid of it, why not? That's the number one reason I'm looking to move to a conical.

I should specify what I am doing. I have a Fastferment conical that has a nice collection ball at the bottom that collects all the yeast and trub into the ball which works perfectly....If you don't dry hop bagless into it. The pellets expand and clog the 1 inch opening at the bottom of the conical, leaving wasted beer in the collection ball. My resolution is to not use the collection ball with beers that I plan to dry hop. Without the collection ball at the bottom, the yeast, trub, and hops will compact at the bottom and I will rack out of the sampling port that I have installed on the side of the conical. Leaving the particulate matter in the fermenter allows it to eventually compact together with time (and while cold crashing), which limits the beer that I would be wasting by dropping the trub, yeast and hops earlier in the process. As long as the sediment stays below the sampling port, after cold crashing which compacts the sediment, I can easily rack everything except the very small amount of beer that is sitting on top of the sediment. the compacted sediment will displace the beer above the sediment, leaving less wasted beer in the end. Having a racking arm in other conicals helps as you can move it around to choose where you want to drain the beer from within the conical. There is no information on dry hopping freely (without mesh bags) in the fast ferment, so I believe this will be a decent method. On top of racking from the port, I am connecting a bouncer inline filter which should catch any hop sediment that I may drain out of the fermenter.

Back