dropped stir plate magnet in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBUFF

Reaction score
Hello all,
Last night I had a brain fart whilst pitching my yeast and forgot to use my keeper magnet. Now I have a stir plate magnet sitting at the bottom of my carboy that I am unable to retrieve. Is there any danger in just keeping the thing in there for a couple of weeks prior to my transfer to secondary?

thanks,
DBUFF

Nope, I often do this. I don't see any difference between having it sit in carboy or having it sit in wort starter.

Just remember to retrieve before dumping trub!

I agree with ODI3, it shouldn't be an issue unless your stir bar is very old and the coating has worn off.

If it bothers you, why not use your keeper magnet to walk it up and out of the carboy? That way you could use it in your next starter anyways :drunk:

Actually, this is a very good thing. I've been putting magnets in my wort for years.

The magnet will align the proteins and other trub forming particles and enable them to floc better. Better formed floc falls out more efficiently giving you a cleaner, clearer, crisper beer.

Or maybe it was the the first answer.

I have done that, so many times! The only downside is I have to remember that the fermenter has a stir bar in it so I don't lose it in the compost pile when I dump the yeast out if not saving it!

The beer will be fine.

The beer will be fine.

Ahhhh, Yoop was the first poster to calm my fears way back in '07 when I pushed a stopper through the neck of my carboy into my first batch of wort. The memories of being a nervous noob.....

If it bothers you, why not use your keeper magnet to walk it up and out of the carboy? That way you could use it in your next starter anyways :drunk:

This.

I had an extra HD magnet from building the stirplate, I use it to grab my stirbar out of the starter before I pour. Works great for that and would work just as well to get it out of the fermenter.

Or just let it ride and remember it after you've racked.

Good luck and enjoy the brew.

I have done that, so many times! The only downside is I have to remember that the fermenter has a stir bar in it so I don't lose it in the compost pile when I dump the yeast out if not saving it!

The beer will be fine.

I forgot I left one in the fermenter until I was weeding my garden and found a stir bar:D

This is a reminder to self - I need to get a backup stirbar. Or another size/style. Mine sometimes doesn't work well with different sized starters.

Though I do use my extra hard drive magnet to retrieve the bar from the starter prior to pitching.

OT: Compost pile? I've just been dumping mine down the drain. What does everyone else do with their yeast after fermentation? Is there a risk of dumping it down the drain? Should I be composting it instead?

Back