dropped my red baron capper and broke...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
Was moving a few things this morning and I dropped my red baron capper. The two plastic tabs on each side broke. I tried bottling some water and it seemed to work fine. Just wondering if anyone knew what the two tabs on the sides are for.

If you are talking about the tabs on the sides under the spring, I think they are used to hold the metal grippers underneath against the bottle as you press the cap on. The look like they lock the other sides in place and prevent them from separating.

Hell, I don't know. I had one of those just for recapping half bottles or doing impromptu fills from the kegerator. I don't even know where it is now...

If it works, then I don't see what the problem would be. Maybe a safety issue??

If you are really into brewing, then a bench capper would be a nice upgrade, since you are buying a new capper anyway. Check Ebay. They are not that much more, and won't shear a thin bottle like some people experienced using a wing capper.

I broke my red baron capper on the first case i ever bottled, I had to tear it up to get the capper part off. I screwed in a bolt and used a hammer to pound 30 caps on. Bought a bench capper the next day and haven't looked back.

Back