!@$# dropped my march pump!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
So I had an otherwise smooth brew day go suddenly very wrong (skip to the end if you don't like brew day horror stories):

1) As I was recircing through the chiller to sanitize, I had walked out of the room for a second to give the sanitizer in the fermenting buckets a shake. I suddenly heard a slapping sound... a little odd, ran into the brewery and it had already poared about a gallon of boiling wort all over the floor. I turned off the valve and replaced the hose. I'm considering buying a couple more ball valves to ensure this doesn't happen again.

2) While cleaning up at the end of the day, i placed the march pump toolbox on my stand to disconnect the hoses and catch any water coming out of the pump. I turned around for one second, and the toolbox fell forward off the bench, smashing the end off the outlet portion of the pump head!!

My Question:

I'm considering going with a chugger stainles pump head to replace the march pump i smashed. Are the heads interchangable?

I'm so pissed off about this. I'm immediately building a pump stand and getting rid of the toolbox setup. It's too "Front heavy" and tippy for my liking.

Sorry to hear about your pump mishap, I believe that the pump heads are interchangeable. Drop Mike @ Chugger an email he's pretty good at getting back to you.

EDIT: I just found this video, click on the video link, go too YouTube and read the text below, the customer put a Chugger head on a March.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just swapped out the head on my march pump for the Chugger pump replacement head (Brewhardware.com -> Pumps).

Also, instead of the standard size impeller that came with the Chugger pump, I used the upgraded March 815 impeller (previously purchased). Haven't done a full brew day yet with this setup, but confirmed with ~1 hr water recirculation that the pump works and does not leak.

One minor issue that I had was that the alignment for the bottom screw hole on the chugger pump was slightly off and so I only could get 3 of the 4 screws to thread into the March pump. Still, it is solidly mounted and the magnet on the march pump was correctly aligned and not hitting anything on the Chugger pump head.

Back