Drop hopped cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm still relatively new to brewing and after a couple batches of cider,the other day I tried a hopped up cider and really really enjoyed it! I'm hoping to recreate it and and was wondering if anyone has experience in this area? When do I introduce the hops.. Primary or secondary?? How much and for how long?
I'm not looking for a strong bitter taste just a slight difference with more of the aroma of hops.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers peoples!

I am pretty sure all hopped-ciders are dry-hopped, so no worries about getting bitterness from them.

Some go with Noble hops varieties, some go with the fruitier hops, I have even had a cider dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin.

Just pick whatever hops you prefer, & add a couple ounces to your cider at the end of its time in a FV. If you use a secondary FV, put them in then. If not, primary is fine too - just drop them in the last 4-5 days before either bottling or kegging.

I just did my first. Cider sat in secondary for 9-10 month then hopped (dry pellets in a mesh bag) for 6 days. Good!

Awesome thanks for the advice! What's going to be the difference using pellets or fresh? Any suggestions on what type of hops to use?

I used Cascades. Might try Citra next. Has fruity taste.

Don't think much difference between dry cones or pellets.

How much hops should I use for a gallon batch? Cones or pellets? Thinking of buying some Citra!

You should try the Citra. I used 1/2 ounce of the hop flowers in a cheesecloth for 5 gallons of cider for about 5 days. It was a slightly sweet and acidic cider to begin with, the citra hops compliment the sweetness and acidity perfectly. It tastes a little grapefruity. My favorite hopped cider so far..

I used 1.0 oz of cascade and .5 oz centennial for 5.5 gallons. Left the hops in for a week or so before bottling. Citra is next up.

Opened my first bottle lastnight. Was a one gallon batch, so only left the hop bag in for about 24hours. It was awesome! Had a slight bitterness but all the aroma which is what I was aiming for. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Dry hopping length is not limited by volume of the brew. Glad it worked out for you, but normally the 5day is because it takes some time for the flavors to get out into the liquids.

(Then again the length of a dry hop is also very fiercely debated anyway.)

Dry hopping length is not limited by volume of the brew. Glad it worked out for you, but normally the 5day is because it takes some time for the flavors to get out into the liquids.

(Then again the length of a dry hop is also very fiercely debated anyway.)

That's the thing I didn't actually want the flavour or bitterness of taste...just the aroma. 24hours was enough without affecting taste.

You can't get bitterness from dry-hopping, no matter what anyone says. Dry-hop for 5 days or so to get maximum taste/aroma out of your hops.

I just bottled my first 1 gal attempt at dry hopped cider. Waiting for the bottles to carb up but so far very excited. I simply put about 2 tbl spoons of pellet Citra hops in my cider w/ one sliced up orange. Let it sit for a week before back sweetening with 3/4 can of fruit punch concentrate. Def a bit rustic and cloudy. Will use a mesh bag next time for the hops. Had a glass after bottling and am pleased so far. Thanks for suggesting the Citra hops. Seems to work with the fruit flavor.

I have a 1G glass jug from apple juice, I oughta get that going for some cider action. All kinds of hops I want to try dry-hopping some cider with.

Glacier, Galena, Nelson, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Strisselspalt, Ahtanum, Crystal, Hallertau Blanc, Pacific Jade, Smaragd, and more, I am sure... all sound like good candidates.

I tired a quarter ounce of Falconers Flight in a 1 gal back last month and let it sit for 7 days. It was stellar, all of my tasters were in love with that batch.

Just bottled my dry hopped cider using 1oz Citra pellets for 8 days. Awesome aroma and taste. Bit of peachy taste/aroma. Yummy
Noticed though there micro bits of pellet floaties. The cider was super clear prior to dry hopping. So will try using whole hops another time.

I am pretty sure all hopped-ciders are dry-hopped, so no worries about getting bitterness from them.

A few months ago I actually stopped by Bull City Ciderworks and had a wet-hopped cider alongside a dry-hopped one. I really preferred the dry-hop, as suggested in this thread it added a lot of aroma and flavour without any bitterness. The wet-hopped version added some bitterness (as you'd expect) that I just didn't think it was a good fit in a cider.

Back