Drom John Cuvée Des Trolls Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Partial Something
Batch size: 5.25 gallons

3 lb 2 oz Pilsen (Castle Château)
1 lb Light Wheat (Weyermann)
8 oz Munich 10L (Briess)
90 minute steep 155F

60 minute boil
6.6 lbs Pilsen Light LME (Briess)
1.5 oz East Kent Golding (60 min)
0.5 oz East Kent Golding (24 min)
1 oz Styrian Goldings (5 min)
1 lb Clear Belgian Candi Syrup (5 min)
zest from 2 navel oranges (0 min)

Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast1388

3 weeks primary

3 weeks bottle conditioned

First taste: 28 May 2016

SWMBO choice, her third clone from Brasserie Dubuisson (Bush/Scaldis).
I started with a recipe found in BrewToad by William Paro then adjusted:
to partial something,
changed yeast to the Szamatulski's choice for Scaldis Belgian Special Ale in Clone Brews.,
malts to target ABV,
hop amount and schedule to target IBU.

Drom John Cuvee des Trolls.png

Actually, upon further review, this looks like a fairly easy recipe. Steep the first set for 90 minutes at around 155, then the rest is just extract malt? P.S. What is "partial something?"

"Partial something" is my phrase for using as up to as close as I can to 6 lbs grain while using whole containers of LME. There used to be snooty fights on HBT about the proper use of "partial extract" versus "partial mash" and my snooty phrase means "whatever." 6 lbs is the most my pot can handle. I prefer LME because I make bigger messes with DME.

As long as they make a variety of an extract, any recipe can be converted switching extracts for grains and grains for extracts. In this case, there are extracts for Pilsen, light wheat and Munich. So, this recipe could go to from full extract to full all-grain.

And 21 months later, the remaining bottles of Cuvée Des Trolls have aged nicely.

Thanks. I was talking to the guys at NB and they told me this is considered a Partial Mash. I was just confused because I've never brewed anything that wasn't from a kit, and I simply must brew this CDT clone as it's a favorite beer of mine. Any tips or guidelines for a new brewer taking on this recipe?

P.S. Impressive that you were able to age them for 21 months.

I sparge at 170F with 1.25 quarts/1 lb grain.
I use muslin bags, pull out after steeping/mash and place in strainer which then rests on the pot. Pour the sparge water over. Place strainer on a plate and bring wort up to a boil. Periodically (end of a song on Pandora), I pour the drippings on the plate into the wort.

Because grains can be used in smaller units (ounce, tenth of pounds, grams) partial something can make it easier to make recipe adjustments. This is more important with LME which does not store well after opening. (So I use whole containers.) DME is also usable in smaller amounts than the usual 1 lb bags.

The standard conversion is:
1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .66 lb DME

Since you seem to be using Northern Brewer, note that NB repackages LME into either 6 lb or 3.15 lb containers. Other venders tend to use 3.3 lb cans. So, if using NB LME, add some grain or DME.

Sorry for the late reply.
Most online shops have a crushed option. Northern Brewer does. Chicago Brew Werks do not.

Partial Something
Batch size: 5.25 gallons

3 lb 2 oz Pilsen (Castle Château)
1 lb Light Wheat (13.5 oz Rahr White Wheat, 2.5 oz Weyermann)
8 oz Munich 10L (5.1 oz Gambrinus Light, 2.9 Briess Organic)
90 minute steep 155F

60 minute boil
6.6 lbs Pilsen Light LME (Briess)
1.5 oz East Kent Golding (60 min)
0.5 oz East Kent Golding (24 min)
1 oz Styrian Celeia (5 min)
1 lb Clear Belgian Candi Syrup (5 min)
zest from 2 navel oranges (0 min)

Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast1388

3 weeks primary

3 weeks bottle conditioned

First taste: 20 June 2019

SWMBO choice, rebrew:
Chicago Beer Werks (crushed) because they had a closer percentage of all the ingredients.
Rahr and Briess to use leftovers, Gambrinus for the heck of it since CBW is fazing out organic. Celeia as best substitute.
Drom John Cuvee des Trolls II.png

Back