Dripless picnic tap recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Murph

Homebrew Advocate
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm searching for picnic taps that don't drip after a pour. I use picnic taps with short hoses to dispense meads in a dedicated wine cooler. Theoretically they work great. But the drip after the pour resulting in a sticky build up in the bottom of the fridge. Left uncleaned a day or two and the door seal sticks to the door jamb.

20221001_125457.jpg

I don't think there's a way. Any faucet that has a cavity after the seal will hold and then release some liquid. How about twisting the faucet so the spout naturally keeps it contained?

I'm curious about the picnic tap 2.0. I watched a video that reviewed the picnic tap 2.0 that claims it to have a twist type shut off valve that does not drip. It reportedly pours perfect beers without foam also. I would like to hear product reviews from actual end users. IMO it looks like it would be difficult to operate with one hand. Anyone who has experience with the picnic tap 2.0 please share your opinion of its performance and over all worth.

Thanks @Beermeister32 I'm familiar with that tap and it is a good one. However I don't have enough room for those once the door is closed. In this application it requires a short hose and tap that actually touches the door when closed. The flexibility of the hose allows the door to push against the tap moving it back slightly. My existing set up may be my best option but it's a constant issue cleaning up the drips. I fear the day someone else pours a glass leaving the tap turned and closing the door against the handle. That could empty a keg all over the place. The picnic tap 2.0 sounds like a good solution but I really would like to hear from someone with experience using them.

I use Pluto guns and give it a shake into the glass when I'm done. Might need a longer line for that though

I'm curious about the picnic tap 2.0. I watched a video that reviewed the picnic tap 2.0 that claims it to have a twist type shut off valve that does not drip. It reportedly pours perfect beers without foam also. I would like to hear product reviews from actual end users. IMO it looks like it would be difficult to operate with one hand. Anyone who has experience with the picnic tap 2.0 please share your opinion of its performance and over all worth.
I use one with the keg on the hump in my keezer. The lower kegs are too tight together to fit a glass in under the tap. It would probably be fine in a fridge. If I added a hose to it it would take both hands to use. I think it's best for portable kegs.

It doesn't drip much at all. The tap works well, but pours kind of slow. I need to cut down the spiral to speed it up a bit.

I use one with the keg on the hump in my keezer. The lower kegs are too tight together to fit a glass in under the tap. It would probably be fine in a fridge. If I added a hose to it it would take both hands to use. I think it's best for portable kegs.

It doesn't drip much at all. The tap works well, but pours kind of slow. I need to cut down the spiral to speed it up a bit.
Thank you for responding. This is the kind of info I need. I think I'm gonna get two and see if they work better for me. Worth a try.

Thank you for responding. This is the kind of info I need. I think I'm gonna get two and see if they work better for me. Worth a try.
I bought the Picnic Tap 2.0 about 2 weeks ago for use on 3 gallon Amcly style kegs. Plenty of room to put a glass under the tap. No drips yet! Will soon buy a second one for my other 3 gallon keg.

It does pour a bit slower than the basic picnic tap. Foaming is not an issue, at least not with the beers I brew.

I also have an older style 5 gallon corny keg with the handle/rim going all the way around the top -- as opposed to cut outs around the in/out posts. It fits, but rests on the rim. I might cut out a slot around the out post, though, just to be safe.

I use the TAP IT 2.0. I have 2, just ordered 2 more.
I looked at the metal picnic taps, they might drip also.
For the price I think the Tap 2.0 is a good deal. I really had issues with the std tap. I did find the slow flow adjustable taps work OK. But they are large take up space in fridge.
I use 2.5g and 1 g kegs so these taps are way better then tap on keg or all the hoses. I never had a std picnic tap break. All my kegs are stored in up-right fridges so access is not a problem

I keep mine in a quart jar half full of starsan. It sits on the hump in the keezer and there is folded towel outside the lid that I tap the spout on before use to somewhat dry it. I have done this for several years with no negative results. Keeps the tap sanitized also. Of course this set up needs long supply lines

These picnic tap 2.0s look interesting for sampling fermenting wort from pressure fermentations, too. Too expensive locally, though. About $35 a pop vs $8 in the US. I expect to pay a bit more for imports, but $35 is taking the pee. I'm out.

Couple of comments.

- There's are no truly dripless beer faucets. But I guess you can hold your serving glass under the faucet until the drip(s) is/are finished, which might be pretty quickly.

- At the end of a session, the faucet should, IMO, be rinsed with a sanitizer anyway, so something is needed to catch that if you don't want it on the floor. (I know some will say rinsing isn't necessary. Technically it's not, if you don't mind running beer through a dirty, gummy, microbe factory orifice. But in that case, I'd encourage you to take a whiff of the faucet the next time you're about to pour. It might change your mind, or not.)

Back