Drip Tray for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xCSx

Reaction score
Considering this for my drip tray setup - thoughts?

Magnets to attach 2 per L bracket and attach directly to keezer via MAGNETS (woah).. best way to attach to bracket? Gorilla glue? something else?

use these 4 Inch L bracket and put the velcro on top

attach other side of velcro to this tray

MAGIC

thoughts?

Parts:
Magnets - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OC1IN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Velcro - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJPPOGC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Tray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQIROA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Brackets - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU26C55/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Are their screw holes on the back of the drip tray? If not consider ordering this one, with the "backstop" with 3 holes in it.

derp_01_small.jpg

I don't think I have a picture of how I did mine, (I'm building a new one and my old one is in pieces) but I think I can explain what I did.

You need three- 3-m Command wall hangers like this;

mt32082-3_x.jpg

The metal ones with the little notch clippy thingy that can fit in the screw holes.

And some really small round rare earth magnets...

You basically use two of those wall hangers which use 3-m 2 sided adhesive that won't mar the surface of the keezer and can be removed if you ever have to get a new keezer, or quit brewing and want to turn it back into a chest freezer.

Then you stick a couple of the magnets either on the bottom of those hangers, or below it depending on the height of the backstop of the tray. Those hanger frames sort of tilts the bottom of the drip tray back- the magnets help level it out and also add some added support to the tray.

Here's a pic of my old setup...

871d024c.jpg

Personally I tried all magnets, and found that the drip tray would slide around with the wait of the beer glass and putting them on and taking them off. The 3-m holds it in place and keeps it level.

Are their screw holes on the back of the drip tray? If not consider ordering this one, with the "backstop" with 3 holes in it.

derp_01_small.jpg

I don't think I have a picture of how I did mine, (I'm building a new one and my old one is in pieces) but I think I can explain what I did.

You need three- 3-m Command wall hangers like this;

mt32082-3_x.jpg

The metal ones with the little notch clippy thingy that can fit in the screw holes.

And some really small round rare earth magnets...

You basically use two of those wall hangers which use 3-m 2 sided adhesive that won't mar the surface of the keezer and can be removed if you ever have to get a new keezer, or quit brewing and want to turn it back into a chest freezer.

Then you stick a couple of the magnets either on the bottom of those hangers, or below it depending on the height of the backstop of the tray. Those hanger frames sort of tilts the bottom of the drip tray back- the magnets help level it out and also add some added support to the tray.

Here's a pic of my old setup...

871d024c.jpg

Personally I tried all magnets, and found that the drip tray would slide around with the wait of the beer glass and putting them on and taking them off. The 3-m holds it in place and keeps it level.
Great tip!

Just to offer an idea, here's what I do:

Menards--and I presume other home stores--sell a paper towel holder that is magnetic. Very strong magnets, in fact.

I turn them so that the knobs that hold the paper towel tube face up, then place the drip tray on that, and then use a couple of magnets to hold it there. Works like a champ, and is easily removable for cleaning.

I was uncomfortable drilling holes in the side of the keezer, and the drip tray can't be easily suspended from the collar.

driptray.jpg

driptraymagnet.jpg

papertowel.jpg

papertowelholder.jpg

Just to offer an idea, here's what I do:

Menards--and I presume other home stores--sell a paper towel holder that is magnetic. Very strong magnets, in fact.

So it doesn't "drift" at all over time? Like repeatedly putting a glass on and filling them? Are the magnets strong enough that you feel confident sitting a full beer glass on it?

Because if that's the case, I like this idea a lot, in fact I might consider this for the one I'm building now.

As much as I never had ANY problems with what I did ever failing- I did have a couple issues- the first is that you have to make sure before you attach the 3m- stickies and hanging clamps you have to put them all in a "level" line to make sure the drip tray is straight and true.

The second issue is you are committed to the distance between taps and drip tray, you can't really move it without removing the 3-m stickey stuff and putting fresh ones on.

It's no big deal most of the time- if you have the right distance... But after I built my keezer, and I had set my my distance for pint glasses, I ended up acquiring various cool taller glassware, including some really thin and delicate crystal Pilsner Flutes and this cool hand painted tall football themed beer glass that I like to make beermosas in on Sundays and it was awkward to use with those glasses, I couldn't sit them on the dray to fill them, and even just tilting them to fit and not wedge against the try itself I would end up spilling more into the dip tray than into the glass.

I could easily remove the drip tray, but then I'm dripping on the floor. LOL

With your design I can see just just sliding the diptray down a couple inches and sliding it back as needed.

As long as the tradeoff isn't stability.

So it doesn't "drift" at all over time? Like repeatedly putting a glass on and filling them? Are the magnets strong enough that you feel confident sitting a full beer glass on it?

It never has. When I first did it I put heavy weights on it, more than a filled glass weighs, and it didn't move.

And it hasn't drifted at all. That may or may not be related to the kind of paint I used--I used chalkboard paint which obviously isn't gloss-smooth. But those paper-towel-holder magnets are pretty strong, with a lot of attachment surface. As long as you don't go nuts trying to see how close to the edge you can go before it lets loose.... ;)

I don't know how much weight it will hold, I was only concerned whether a single full glass could be held. You're actually motivating me to see if it'll hold more......be right back....

OK, here's a pic showing it holding 7# 6oz of bullets. Five full pint glasses of beer would weigh less than that.

trayweightcarry.jpg

I rarely leave full glasses on the drip tray--I just fill 'em and immediately put them to use slaking my thirst. :)

Because if that's the case, I like this idea a lot, in fact I might consider this for the one I'm building now.

As much as I never had ANY problems with what I did ever failing- I did have a couple issues- the first is that you have to make sure before you attach the 3m- stickies and hanging clamps you have to put them all in a "level" line to make sure the drip tray is straight and true.

The second issue is you are committed to the distance between taps and drip tray, you can't really move it without removing the 3-m stickey stuff and putting fresh ones on.

It's no big deal most of the time- if you have the right distance... But after I built my keezer, and I had set my my distance for pint glasses, I ended up acquiring various cool taller glassware, including some really thin and delicate crystal Pilsner Flutes and this cool hand painted tall football themed beer glass that I like to make beermosas in on Sundays and it was awkward to use with those glasses, I couldn't sit them on the dray to fill them, and even just tilting them to fit and not wedge against the try itself I would end up spilling more into the dip tray than into the glass.

I could easily remove the drip tray, but then I'm dripping on the floor. LOL

With your design I can see just just sliding the diptray down a couple inches and sliding it back as needed.

The paper-towel-holder magnets are not really slidable. If they were, it likely would drift down over time. You have to remove and replace. I have a little mini-level I put on there to get close. They're like a buck at the dollar store. Usually I just do it by eye, aligning the top of the drip tray back with the keezer collar. Not a big deal to do.

As long as the tradeoff isn't stability.

Mine's stable. It's not quite as pretty as I'd like--I wish I had more....elegant-looking magnets holding the vertical part to the magnets stuck on the front of the keezer--but it works. I could have bought some powerful magnets from Amazon that would have looked nicer and worked as well, but....as it is, my friends are so amazed that I have beer on tap that they aren't focused on how the drip tray is affixed. Rather, their focus is on the faucet spouts and what comes out. :)

I want to note a couple more things....one is that it's really easy to remove it for cleaning. Of course, if I could hang it from screws it would be that as well, but I can't.

Another is the paper towel you see in the one pic above. I'd cleaned the tray prior to visitors, and to keep it pristine while I still drew beers for myself I put down a folded paper towel.

Wowee! It works wonderfully. The last couple drips are absorbed by the paper towel, the drip tray is unsullied by those drips, and the beer dries out in a couple hours. Doesn't look that great but for me, it's just fine.

And the third is to point out (for anyone else reading this, I think you have it figured out) that the way the paper-towel-holder magnets are working, they support the drip tray mostly from the bottom. The two circular magnets you see are just to keep it from tipping forward if I put a glass on wrong, and to hold it square. Most of the support comes from the bottom, not the top part.

One other thought: those posts that fit inside the paper-towel roll can be removed, from what it looks like in the pics.

You could do that, turn the holders upside down from how I do them, and either attach the drip tray directly to that flat part, or let it sit there and still use magnets to hold the tray against the front of the keezer.

On the other hand, those posts make it easy to grip and remove them from the keezer.

There is more room for creativity here.

I had the same experience with the magnets sliding down the face of the keezer. I took a 1x4 and routered the edge with an ogee bit. Then I made pencil marks on the keezer to make sure I got it straight and level. I used JB Weld to epoxy the 1x4 to the face of the keezer and used screws in it to mount the trays. It's simple to pop them off for cleaning. Staining the 1x4 the same as the collar adds a nice touch to the front. BTW--be sure to give yourself enough distance between the tap and the tray to accommodate a pint glass.

IMG_0115.jpg

Magnets to attach 2 per L bracket and attach directly to keezer via MAGNETS (woah).. best way to attach to bracket? Gorilla glue? something else?

MAGIC

thoughts?

Parts:
Magnets - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OC1IN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Velcro - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJPPOGC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Tray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQIROA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Brackets - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU26C55/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks

I am doing sort of what you are were thinking.

I put a L bracket between these using the predrilled holes and small bolts,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LZTBKQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then glued a couple of these on the bottom of the drip tray to stay on top of the L bracket.
https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Use-Refrigerator-Magnets-Science-Crafts/dp/B01LYEJFK3/ref=pd_sbs_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYEJFK3&pd_rd_r=83S37DSJRY2EKH893QAB&pd_rd_w=rJMmm&pd_rd_wg=MUYUJ&psc=1&refRID=83S37DSJRY2EKH893QAB

4a24b603-bdc9-4c02-9847-ec6556eea632_zpsxbsgem4d.jpg

IMG_2358%20-%20Copy_zpsozzeyuoe.jpg

The extra bolt on the top just helps to align the drip tray.

MAGIC

thoughts?

Parts:

Thanks

My original plan was to use strong magnets to hold the vertical part of the drip tray against the front of the keezer, and use some sort of rectangular magnet to support the tray underneath. Strong enough magnets, it would work.

I defaulted to another method (see earlier in the thread), but I like those magnets you list. Might have to pick them up to replace the ugly ones I'm using to hold the drip tray in place....

It never has. When I first did it I put heavy weights on it, more than a filled glass weighs, and it didn't move.

I think you've sold me on what I'm going to be doing on my new keezer this week.

Funny, this new build after my old freezer dies, seems to be about trying new things, setting things up differently. Pretty cool.

Thanks!
:mug:

I made a frame out of 1 x 1 pine and placed two slats on either end of the frame and used a 30 lb. double sided tape and attached to my keezer. Stained and urethaned it to match the collar, the drip tray pops out easily to clean.

Back