drinking straight from bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
A friend came over the other day and I gave him some of my homebrew and a glass. He proceded to drink straight from the bottle. I alerted him of the issues that can arise from drinking the yeast.

Is there a way to remove the yeast from my bottles in order to drink straight from them?

You need the yeast in the bottles to carbonate the beer. I think the only way around it is to filter and force carb in a keg and then bottle, which seems like a bigger pain than it's worth and I don't know how well that even works, I just remember reading about it.

Can't be done if you are bottle carbonating. I know it's a hard concept to grasp for BMC drinkers but craft/home brews must be poured!

not really, you can cold crash prior to the bottling stage, but there is still a significant amount of yeast left in suspension. you can also add gelatin a few days before bottling, but yet again, there is still a significant amount of yeast left in suspension. if there was no yeast in the bottle than they would not carbonate.

They all pretty much answered your question. The other thing is, anything but the cheapest ice cold hot weather quaffers should really be consumed from a glass, you're missing out on so much when drinking from the bottles. Complex flavors and aromas are released by a good pour and a proper glass helps bring them out. But any glass is better than a bottle.

More concerning than your buddy ingesting a little yeast is all that aroma/flavor lost when not using a glass.

He's not getting a full sense of the beer you spent all that time making!

They all pretty much answered your question. The other thing is, anything but the cheapest ice cold hot weather quaffers should really be consumed from a glass, you're missing out on so much when drinking from the bottles. Complex flavors and aromas are released by a good pour and a proper glass helps bring them out. But any glass is better than a bottle.

Revvy beat me to it :mug:

More concerning than your buddy ingesting a little yeast is all that aroma/flavor lost when not using a glass.

He's not getting a full sense of the beer you spent all that time making!

Yeah dchokie's right, there's nothing wrong with drinking the yeast.

The yeast in the beer is not a bad thing, in fact it is full of vitamin B complex. You can buy it in many healthfood stores, and the Belgian's practically worship it for it's healthful benefits.

brewersyeast.jpg

But most folks, especially Americans who for generations have been weened on crystal clear, pasturized and filtered "dead" beers like BMC are frightened of the cloudyness and yeasty taste of bottle conditioned beers with a lot of yeast in it.We have been encultured to be used to bland, tasteless, massed produced pablum, so many folks are downright scared of "Real" things that may be sour, or raw, or earthy.

But if you're not used to it, if you've never drank a lot of bottle conditioned commercial beers (which have sediment as well) folks do have issues, initially, dealing with the oligosaccyhrydes in yeast, so folks in the beginning do get gassy, or some, have GI issues, but eventually we tolerate it.

Just look at the threads about yeast farts and you'll see. We've all gone through it, and our gut's gotten used to it. Some folks may have the S**ts initially from them, but that's in rare cases.

What's wrong with drinking the yeast? I thought it had B complex vitamins in it.

Just don't hang out with him for a day or so. He's going to have some NASTY gas!

I do kinda like the taste of the yeasties at the bottom. Will sometimes take a sip from the bottle after pouring a glass. Sure beats paying for brewer's yeast extract from the healthfood store. :mug:

At a party last week the hosts was home brewer I had a few and he never mentioned a glass.....Did not know glass is recommended, I did ask him how he pasteurizes and he said he never has to because there not around that long.

I always pour my home brew to a pint glass. I would miss out on the head, color and aroma by drinking from the bottle. I have never had the S*&^s, never had beer farts and never had a yeast cake that was not tight enough to permit me to upend the bottle. That's one of the benefits of 4 weeks primary 4 weeks conditioning. Tight yeast cake and clear product with no fining agents.

I always pour my home brew to a pint glass. I would miss out on the head, color and aroma by drinking from the bottle. I have never had the S*&^s, never had beer farts and never had a yeast cake that was not tight enough to permit me to upend the bottle. That's one of the benefits of 4 weeks primary 4 weeks conditioning. Tight yeast cake and clear product with no fining agents.

Tough to beat good head and a nice tight cake

Sorry if a bit off topic but really don't want to start a new thread. Revvy mentioned the health benefits of "brewers yeast" and I've always wondered if that stuff they sell in health food stores could be used for brewing?

I checked online and a 12 oz jar cost $16. That is twenty nine 11.5 gram packs of yeast and at $4 a pack for Safale US-05, that's $116 in packs. So I was about to ask HBT if health food brewers yeast could be used in homebrewing but thought before I ask maybe I should do a bit of research.

From True Foods website: "Brewer's Yeast Flakes
This product is a pure strain of Saccharomyce cerevisiae yeast grown in solutions of pure beet and cane molasses under the most rigidly-controlled sanitary conditions, resulting in a uniform product of the best possible quality. It is an inactive and completely nonfermentable food yeast"

Darn, would have been nice.

Dan, that yeast is usually dead. We use it sometimes as a yeast energizer though. Just pitch it in the boil. It also sometimes is good for stuck fermentations, since yeast are cannibals, it tends to stimulate their appetites.

Another random question... If I keg my beer is there still enough yeast in suspension to get some of the benefits? Or does most of it settle down when chilled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get most of the yeast out of your bottles by using a fining agent like gelatin, kegging, carbing, and then bottling off of the keg with something like a Bowie or BM's bottle filler?

It seems like a lot more work than it's worth if you are just drinking at home and not planning on transporting it.

Another random question... If I keg my beer is there still enough yeast in suspension to get some of the benefits? Or does most of it settle down when chilled.

There's billions upon billions of cells in our beer, no matter what people think, short of filtering out so much that you strip the beer of all flavor there's always plenty of yeast still around.

Another reason to use a glass is to intentionally mix the yeast sediment evenly back into the beer. Google how to pour a hefeweizen.

Back