Drinking my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just got off work and decided to see how my first batch was doing. I bottled it the 14th. I was really just checking to see how the carbonation was doing, so I popped one open right out of the case (room temp), and it's done! I poured it into a glass and was surprised to see a good 1 inch head on it. I threw my head back took a big swig. Not bad at all. It's only been 5 weeks since I brewed it and its still greeen, but I can tell that it just may become pretty damn good after a couple more weeks. I don't detect any off flavors, and it's definitely not infected. Now how long can I wait for it to improve before I start passing it out? This will be HARD.

Start brewing ALOT more...your gonna need it. This hobby consumes you quickly. And then your friends find out........

Yea, agreed you need to brew more so you dont run out. I am fairly new (about to brew gallon 25 tomorrow) and i have already consumed my first batch (minus one bottle, i just cannot get the nerve to drink it!). I brewed the first batch on 26DEC07. Currently plowing through my second batch which will be gone in about a week. My second batch was an IPA. I am not trying to boost my ego, but its one of the best IPAs i have ever had. Definitely a brew i will make again. hopefully batch #3, an ESB, is ready to drink by the time the IPAs are done.

Professor Frink said:
Start brewing some more now so you'll always have some beer that's ready to go:mug:

deffo. that's the only way to make sure that i give my beer a decent period of time to mature!

Sounds good. I brewed my first batch on Jan 5th, and just ordered my second and third kits. I wish I had already brewed my 2nd as I'm going to run out by next week. I'm going to do the 2nd batch as soon as I get it, keep it in the primary for a week, transfer to a secondary, and then do the third. I have an extra carboy from many years ago when I first did this, so I can have 2 batches running a week apart, or so I hope.

Congrats BWRIGHT!! I'm in the same boat. I cracked open my first bottle last Saturday and it was pretty good. I opened another yesterday and it was much better, so I'm looking forward to the next few weeks!! I have my second batch in secondary now and am thinking of doing my third batch soon. This hobby is addictive isn't it!

Cheers :mug:

Congratulations!!!

I definitely agree with the others. Make a LOT more. It's amazing how fast it disappears. I used to think people were kidding, but it took me a week of drinking my own beer to see what everyone is talking about.

Dan

I thought I was a little strange because I started drinking my first batch a "little" early, just to test it out. I quickly realized that I better get a second batch going or there was going to be dead space with no good beer to drink. My third batch will be born this coming weekend. Best X-mas present the wife has ever come up with.:rockin:

Congrats! I brewed my second batch right after bottling the first. I drank from the first this past weekend and have been trying to pace myself. SWMBO thinks it's some of the best beer she's ever had, so I guess I'll just have to keep brewing!:ban:

That's the funny thing about doing this. It is the first hobby/interest of mine that my wife encourages me to do. She just tolerates all the rest (cycling, diy audio, telescopes, piano).

When I told her I ordered 2 more kits her reply was "hurry up, we're running out".

zacster said:
That's the funny thing about doing this. It is the first hobby/interest of mine that my wife encourages me to do. She just tolerates all the rest (cycling, diy audio, telescopes, piano).

When I told her I ordered 2 more kits her reply was "hurry up, we're running
out".

LOL! My wife was one who never liked "dark beer" , but since I started brewing, her favorite has been the stout we are drinking now.

I love it!

Back