Quantcast

Drinking my first homebrew

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I just got off work and decided to see how my first batch was doing. I bottled it the 14th. I was really just checking to see how the carbonation was doing, so I popped one open right out of the case (room temp), and it's done! I poured it into a glass and was surprised to see a good 1 inch head on it. I threw my head back took a big swig. Not bad at all. It's only been 5 weeks since I brewed it and its still greeen, but I can tell that it just may become pretty damn good after a couple more weeks. I don't detect any off flavors, and it's definitely not infected. Now how long can I wait for it to improve before I start passing it out? This will be HARD.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
Start brewing ALOT more...your gonna need it. This hobby consumes you quickly. And then your friends find out........

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Yea, agreed you need to brew more so you dont run out. I am fairly new (about to brew gallon 25 tomorrow) and i have already consumed my first batch (minus one bottle, i just cannot get the nerve to drink it!). I brewed the first batch on 26DEC07. Currently plowing through my second batch which will be gone in about a week. My second batch was an IPA. I am not trying to boost my ego, but its one of the best IPAs i have ever had. Definitely a brew i will make again. hopefully batch #3, an ESB, is ready to drink by the time the IPAs are done.

cd2448

Reaction score
Professor Frink said:
Start brewing some more now so you'll always have some beer that's ready to go:mug:
deffo. that's the only way to make sure that i give my beer a decent period of time to mature!

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
Congrats on your first home brew, hope it treats you well. I just moved my first ever batch in the secondary..... I have a while to go

zacster

Reaction score
Sounds good. I brewed my first batch on Jan 5th, and just ordered my second and third kits. I wish I had already brewed my 2nd as I'm going to run out by next week. I'm going to do the 2nd batch as soon as I get it, keep it in the primary for a week, transfer to a secondary, and then do the third. I have an extra carboy from many years ago when I first did this, so I can have 2 batches running a week apart, or so I hope.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
Congrats BWRIGHT!! I'm in the same boat. I cracked open my first bottle last Saturday and it was pretty good. I opened another yesterday and it was much better, so I'm looking forward to the next few weeks!! I have my second batch in secondary now and am thinking of doing my third batch soon. This hobby is addictive isn't it!

Cheers :mug:

DanInMadison

Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

I definitely agree with the others. Make a LOT more. It's amazing how fast it disappears. I used to think people were kidding, but it took me a week of drinking my own beer to see what everyone is talking about.

Dan

sigmund

Reaction score
I thought I was a little strange because I started drinking my first batch a "little" early, just to test it out. I quickly realized that I better get a second batch going or there was going to be dead space with no good beer to drink. My third batch will be born this coming weekend. Best X-mas present the wife has ever come up with.:rockin:

mstev50

Reaction score
Congrats! I brewed my second batch right after bottling the first. I drank from the first this past weekend and have been trying to pace myself. SWMBO thinks it's some of the best beer she's ever had, so I guess I'll just have to keep brewing!:ban:

zacster

Reaction score
That's the funny thing about doing this. It is the first hobby/interest of mine that my wife encourages me to do. She just tolerates all the rest (cycling, diy audio, telescopes, piano).

When I told her I ordered 2 more kits her reply was "hurry up, we're running out".

rescue brew

Reaction score
zacster said:
That's the funny thing about doing this. It is the first hobby/interest of mine that my wife encourages me to do. She just tolerates all the rest (cycling, diy audio, telescopes, piano).

When I told her I ordered 2 more kits her reply was "hurry up, we're running
out".
LOL! My wife was one who never liked "dark beer" , but since I started brewing, her favorite has been the stout we are drinking now.

I love it!

Latest posts