Drinking hydrometer sample with sanitizer in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcGuay

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering about the safety of drinking hydrometer samples that are obviously going to have some sanitizer (Starsan in my case) in them. Is the unfermented wort acid enough to "disable" it? Not sure on the science here.

Thanks
Marc

The Star San is an acid, so wort won't neutralize it, and it's perfectly safe to drink if mixed to the correct concentration as WrQth said, but it may make your beer taste more tart than it actually is if there's a significant amount in it.

If your hydrometer sample has enough sanitizer in it that you are worried about the safety of drinking it, it's not going to give an accurate gravity reading. If it's representative of the wort in the fermenter, then there's not enough sanitizer in it to worry about.

A better question is why does your sample have Starsan in it?
The tube or whatever your putting the sample in doesn't have to be sterilized. Just the devise your using to pull the sample..Wine thief,turkey baster etc.

A better question is why does your sample have Starsan in it?
The tube or whatever your putting the sample in doesn't have to be sterilized. Just the devise your using to pull the sample..Wine thief,turkey baster etc.

castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

That's thinkin' with yer dipstick Jimmy!

Thanks everyone.

It would be safe assuming you mixed your starsan to the concentration based on intended use. Standard sanitation would be 1oz to 5 gallons or under 300ppm.

I don't see where it says that in the document, just "harmful if swallowed". Can you point me to it?

There would be a a small amount of sanitizer in the hydrometer sample because the turkey baster will have sanitizer in/on it when it pulls the sample.

Thanks everyone.

I don't see where it says that in the document, just "harmful if swallowed". Can you point me to it?

There would be a a small amount of sanitizer in the hydrometer sample because the turkey baster will have sanitizer in/on it when it pulls the sample.

Star san is phosphoric acid sanitizer. Phosphoric acid is one of the main ingredients in soft drinks to give them a tart taste. If you drink soda, you drink Star San (ish). It is 100% food safe, but like almost any acid, it is dangerous when concentrated and less dangerous when diluted. So it may not say "safe to drink" on the label, but just look up "phosphoric acid uses" on google, and you'll see how often you eat it.

As always, the dose makes the poison.

Thanks everyone.

In the Benefits section it says no rinse if below 300ppm. The Directions says 1oz to 5gal = 300ppm as well.

Thanks everyone.

Totally safe. If The same amount left in the turkey baster was an issue I'd be sick or dead a long time ago

Back