Drinking from the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of taking a nice, cold beer from the fridge, cracking it open, and drinking it right out of the bottle. Glasses and steins are great for drafts or cans, but if it comes in a bottle then that's how I drink it.

My first batch is now freshly bottled and carbonating away. I was looking forward to upending the bottle into my eager mouth, but from what I've read it seems there will be sediment on the bottom that shouldn't be unsettled. I've even read that the yeast and sediment on the bottom of the bottle can make you sick.

Will I be constantly running to the bathroom if I drink my beer out of the bottles?

That Sediment will not make you sick unless you are Allergic to yeast or malt in which case you couldnt drink beer anyway, Most of Bells beers are bottle conditioned and as are many commercial beers.

Tenthousandfeet said:
I've always been a fan of taking a nice, cold beer from the fridge, cracking it open, and drinking it right out of the bottle. Glasses and steins are great for drafts or cans, but if it comes in a bottle then that's how I drink it.

My first batch is now freshly bottled and carbonating away. I was looking forward to upending the bottle into my eager mouth, but from what I've read it seems there will be sediment on the bottom that shouldn't be unsettled. I've even read that the yeast and sediment on the bottom of the bottle can make you sick.

Will I be constantly running to the bathroom if I drink my beer out of the bottles?

You will taste the yeast in it and there is an outside that you may be running to the bathroom.
Drink it in a glass so you can smell and see your creation too.

I used to feel the same way but now I pour all my beers into a glass whether homebrewed or commercial. There will be a layer of yeast on the bottom of your bottles and it will change the flavor a bit. Try it both ways and see how you like it.

If you give the batch long enough to clear completely, 3-4 weeks, there should be only a small amount of yeast in the bottom and little else. Sticking to highly flocculate yeasts will also give you a tighter yeast layer in the bottle. You'll still see some mixing through.

Learn to love hefes, the suspended yeast is part of the experience.

drinking a lot of yeast will give you gas and mud butt.
plus, you're wasting all the aroma of the beer by drinking it from a bottle. BMC from the bottle is fine. good beer needs a glass. if that wasn't true, there wouldn't be a dozen different glass types to fit the different styles of beer out there.

again, BMC = Boxed Wine.... Home Brew = expensive single malt scotch. you should savor it.

Tenthousandfeet said:
Glasses and steins are great for drafts or cans, but if it comes in a bottle then that's how I drink it.

That is fine for now I suppose... but you will change. :)

You don't become an EAC overnight, but over time you come to the conclusions reached by most others. You will be assimilated. I don't have to explain it, or push my agenda. When the time is right, you will figure it out on your own... just like all of us have.

malkore said:
drinking a lot of yeast will give you gas and mud butt.
plus, you're wasting all the aroma of the beer by drinking it from a bottle. BMC from the bottle is fine. good beer needs a glass. if that wasn't true, there wouldn't be a dozen different glass types to fit the different styles of beer out there.

again, BMC = Boxed Wine.... Home Brew = expensive single malt scotch. you should savor it.
That's really a great analogy. And good point about the aroma. Bud/Miller/Coors has virtually no aroma hops, so drinking it out of the bottle is fine because there really ain't much to smell. But when you compare that to what we're able to do with homebrew, it's really a shame to keep it all bottled up.

Cheers! :mug:

I've always been a bottle-drinker for BMC and craft brews, and I think there's a lot to be said for tipping back an almost-frozen, dripping longneck fresh from a tub of ice on a hot summer day. Hefeweizens are great for this.

Now, thanks to my kegging system and BMBF, I can do that with any beer, sans yeast sediment.

jds, that brings up another nice debate... what temp to drink at. I think most styles have their own range. But I find if I have something with a lot of flavor the last thing I want is it to be ice cold. 38-40* range usually brings out more flavor, if not slightly warmer for some styles.

z987k said:
jds, that brings up another nice debate... what temp to drink at. I think most styles have their own range. But I find if I have something with a lot of flavor the last thing I want is it to be ice cold. 38-40* range usually brings out more flavor, if not slightly warmer for some styles.

Lagers 38-42 degreees, ales 45-52 degrees, stouts and barley wines 52-58 degrees. Thast what i like any way. And I alwasy use a glass if possible, preferably the proper lass ware for the style.

Beerlord said:
Lagers 38-42 degreees, ales 45-52 degrees, stouts and barley wines 52-58 degrees. Thast what i like any way. And I alwasy use a glass if possible, preferably the proper lass ware for the style.

Lass ware? Is that like lingerie? :drunk:

z987k said:

Agreed, for me, the more flavorful, the warmer I drink it. However, my point about a nice citrusy hefe straight from an ice-bathed bottle stands, for me anyhow. I'd never do that with a stout.

Well, maybe not, anyhow.... Never say never.

homebrewer_99 said:
I never drink beer out of a bottle.

I never drink beer out of plastic cups either.

Drinking and enjoying beer is a life experience that should be done correctly.

Spoken like a true EAC! :D

Loop

jds said:
Agreed, for me, the more flavorful, the warmer I drink it. However, my point about a nice citrusy hefe straight from an ice-bathed bottle stands, for me anyhow. I'd never do that with a stout.

Well, maybe not, anyhow.... Never say never.
no matter what beer it is colder the better i say

My thoughts on this are slightly different than those posted so far. Mine have to do with practicality. I will use last night as an example.

I was heading over to my brother in laws place for dinner and some burning. By burning I mean that he had a bunch of tree branches and what not from some recent pruning that needed to be disposed of. I got a good hot fire going in the fire pit, and then we started loading on all of the stuff that needed to be disposed of. It was about 28 degrees out last night, and I was working hard enough that I was in a tank top and completely comfortable. What does all of this have to do with anything?

First, as much as I am the first person to reach for a glass if I am in the house and can serve the beer properly, a glass would have no practical place out by the fire... so I drank my beer out of the bottle.

Second, as to temp, I keep my serving fridge at 45 degrees, so that the beers in it are always ready to go straight into a glass. When he called to ask if we wanted to come over, I headed to the fridge and loaded up a 12 pack carrier to take with me. He is a BMC drinker, and on top of that, is in phase two of his latest Atkins session, so I knew that all he would have around was Michelobe Ultra, and there was no way I was drinking that. I put the 12 pack on a table out by the fire pit, grabbed out a bottle, and went into the house for dinner. We ate dinner, and then came back out to work on the fire, so now my beer went from 45 degrees down to a little above freezing. Colder than I would have preferred, you bet, but again, you work with what you have.

Personally, I find that drinking good beer from the bottle often is a waste of good beer. But, man, it's your beer to waste. The whole idea is a smile on your face, right?

TL

TexLaw said:
Personally, I find that drinking good beer from the bottle often is a waste of good beer. But, man, it's your beer to waste. The whole idea is a smile on your face, right?

TL

OK, I know I'm just a noob... haven't even brewed my first yet. I understand the original question, and opinions have been given. But regardless if you think that drinking from the bottle is like making out with your sister, or if you're one of the guys from Arkansas that thinks its OK to drink from the bottle... Isn't the whole point to go enjoy your beer? If you want to drink it warm, OK. If you want to drink it cold, OK. Bottle, OK; Glass, OK. Who cares?! Just go drink your brew, that's why you made it, isn't it?

I was at the hospitality suite for my last biz meeting in Scottsdale and the asked the bartender for a glass for my Negro Modelo (it was the best they had besides SA winter). Sorry, we didn't expect anyone to ask for a glass and we don't have any right now. Okie dokie. The next night I went in and she said "oh, I remembered you wanted a glass, one sec......" She goes in the back and comes out with a frosted pils glass filled with SA winter. Ugh. Why is it always assumed that a frozen glass is OK?

TexLaw said:
That's what I was saying, GAC.

What does Arkansas have to do with anything?

TL

It was my attempt at a joke... guess it didn't work. My bad, I'm a little slow... It shows I was in the Corps, don't it?

Sir Humpsalot said:
That is fine for now I suppose... but you will change. :)

You don't become an EAC overnight, but over time you come to the conclusions reached by most others. You will be assimilated. I don't have to explain it, or push my agenda. When the time is right, you will figure it out on your own... just like all of us have.

Lol - that says it perfectly I think. I remember thinking that it didn't get any better than freezing cold, bottled beer. I would have laughed at you if you would have told me how much my tastes would change in a short span of time.

damo said:
no matter what beer it is colder the better i say

I tend to find that people who think this way are people who don't really like beer in the first place. They want it as cold as possible to suppress the flavor.

Back