Drinking bottle-conditioned beers from the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
Do many people drink bottle-conditioned beer from the bottle? I am just wondering what the consensus is on this. I have brewed just a single batch so far but have poured all into a glass. I have been told that the yeast at the bottom is harmless but tastes nasty and can give you gas.

I would think that drinking from the bottle would continuously stir it up and you would get some of it when drinking or would have to leave more at the bottom.

Let me know what you guys think!

:mug:

Most people who drink craft beer, bottle conditioned or not, drink from a glass.

There are reasons other than having sediment in the glass. One is simply that much of your taste comes from your sense of smell. If you drink out of the bottle, you lose much of the flavor and aroma of the beer. That's fine if you're drinking Bud Light, but not so great if you're drinking 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust.

Yeah, I never drink beer from the bottle, but I definitely wouldn't want to drink bottle conditioned beer from it. A mouth full of yeast isn't a pleasant experience :)

I've always poured my beer into a glass, but then again, I almost always pour commercial beer into a glass.

Not sure I'd like to drink the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Some may, but I haven't, and probably won't.

Just to reiterate: Good beer should be put in a glass to enjoy all it's qualities; bad beer.... well.... just don't drink it :D

I drink the sediment from all beers I pour and it my digestive systems seems fine with it. In fact, after transferring a beer to keg, I'll occasionally pull sample for tasting from the murky beer on the bottom of the carboy/bucket, and on occasions where I'm interested in specifically tasting the yeast I'll get a small spoonful and swish it around in my mouth to get a taste. Sadly, the yeast always just comes across as extremely bitter due to the hop oils (although I've been able to get some distinct flavors from farmhouse ale yeast).

Hell, I even drink crappy beer from a glass. Beer like that needs all the help it can get. My neighbor gave me a Bud Platinum the other day and offered a glass. (I'm not a beer snob, I'll graciously accept just about any brew when offered.) Anyway, it wasn't half bad that way.

Beer just tastes better in a glass.

Plus, drinking lots of yeast from the bottom just gets me gout going!

Yep - glass.

For Hefeweizen I'll swirl some of the yeast back into the beer (you get used to it after a while) but other beers I leave it in the bottom. If you have the beer shelved long enough for it to pour clear, then there is no reason to stir it back up again by drinking from the bottle.

Just playing devils advocate. This link is John Kimmich from The Alchemist explaining why Heady Topper should be drank from a can and not a glass. Note that I personally drink beer, bottle conditioned or not, from a glass.

http://youtu.be/amgfgU5-lhs

There's only one way to tell if you'll like it or not... crack one open and try it. I always drink homebrew from a glass but occasionally I get a hankering for a cold bottle.

Back