Drinking beer with lots of hops and drug test, any concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockspeed31

Reaction score
Company I work for has random drug screening and I want to know if hops would show up in a drug screen? Reason I'm asking is I have been told that hops and marijuana are in the same family, with some differences. So if I drink lots of ipa's, should I be concerned if I have a random drug test?

Thanks

While the two are related there is no actual drug compound in hops that would be absorbed into your system that would be detected in a drug screen so you have no worries. If hops contributed to positive drug screenings a lot of the drinking public would be unemployed:)

You might be concerned if you had been drinking heavily within 24 hours of a urinalysis...some tests will report ABC. Your employer may or may not care about alcohol depending upon what you do. As far as I know, hops are not know to effect a false positive for anything.

AFAIK, there is no thc in hops. they are both in the same family, but you should be fine. they might have similar psychoactive chemicals (i doubt it), since the marijuana buzz has been found to be caused by more alkaloids than just thc, but none of those are going to show up on standard drug tests

Nettles are in the same family also.
Hops don't "sting" you when you touch them and they don't have THC.
Related, but not interchangeable.

are you smoking the hops? :D
i've done it quite a few times. No drug testing in my country/job and i've never even tasted pot for that matter.

some of the varities do smell remarkably like burning pot (didn't say i knew what it smells like, just never done it) when lit up, specially saaz.

you can mix leaf hops or pellets with tobacco or just smoke pure leaf hops. They taste nothing like in beer, though

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking the same as you replied, but wanted to be sure. I know if you eat breads with poppy seeds, could throw a false positive for opiates.

Nettles are in the same family also.
Hops don't "sting" you when you touch them and they don't have THC.
Related, but not interchangeable.

same order, urticales (named after the nettle; urtica). different families; cannabaceae (weed, hops) and urticacae. sorry i can't help it i'm a botanist

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking the same as you replied, but wanted to be sure. I know if you eat breads with poppy seeds, could throw a false positive for opiates.

Technically, this is not a false positive, because the test is truely detecting opiates (primarily codiene and morphine). Culinary poppy seeds come from opium poppies and do contain small amounts of various opiates.

From what I remember reading the poppy seed thing is way overblown. You either have to eat a whole bunch right before a test or eat a poppy seed muffin everyday for a few months for it to build up enough in your system.

Yea, but who normally eats half a cake in one sitting? Or three bagels? What I meant is it won't show a positive test for normal consumption. It does trigger a positive but you have to eat alot of it.

Back