Drink it or dump it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crajax

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of beer that I brewed back on 8/24/2014.
It appears to be infected. it tastes...well, not bad (not bad as in nothing tastes likes it's going bad), but doesn't taste great either, it seems to be devoid of any hop flavor.

This beer seemed to be cursed from the start. I tried a new yeast, as my usual yeasts (Nottingham or US-05) were sold out at the time.

OG was 1.052 / FG 1.010

So I used Bry97 which I've never used before. I hydrated it (as I usually do when starting with fresh dry yeast) and set the temp to 62 and walked away...a few days later nothing. no krausen, no signs of activity, nothing. strange, I usally get krausen within 24 hours. . so I increased temp to 68, and within a couple days had some activity, but still no krausen, taking a hydrometer sample confirmed things. I waited 4 more days - finally - Krausen !!....least I thought it was krausen at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

So today (9/21) I decided to keg it. my fermenter is translucent, and as it began to drain I noticed the walls seemed to be coated with 'white stuff' I open the lid and...ugghh - see picture.

So, does anyone know what this is ? should I drink it or dump it ? will it make me sick ?

I'm leaning toward dumping it, but before I do that I wanted to see what the folks on here think, maybe someone here has had similar experience ?

maybe the beer will improve with age (wishful thinking) , or maybe it'll get worse ?

IMG-20140921-00003.jpg

I just tried drinking another sample it has a slight after taste, hard to explain exactly what it tastes like, its kinda sorta like rubber. its faint, but it's there.

thanks for the feedback.
meh, after sleeping on it, I think I'll cut my losses with this one, dump it and be done with it.

Back