Drilling lubricant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kondi

Reaction score
Do you think this would be safe/good as a lubricant to drill a stainless kettle? I got it from lidl.
Or shall I just use classic WD40?

After I am done, what is the best way to clean? Hot oxyclean, then passivating with hot citric acid solution?

1596808688098.png

1596808697488.png
1596808702497.png

I used coconut oil to drill holes in my kettles. Worked pretty well. Just did soap and water clean-up, then acetone to prep before soldering. But you could skip the acetone if you are doing weldless. Would definitely recommend tungsten carbide hole saw. Bobby (brewhardware) sells them for common sizes for various fittings.

Agreed, actual tool oil is best. I use motor oil though the few times I have needed to cut a lot of metal. Does the job and for me at least there's always some in the garage left over from something getting a change. If you're not a home mechanic at all then I like the olive / coconut idea. It'll soak heat and prove some lubrication and is definitely better than nothing if you have just one quick project.

Hands down for me is Tap Magic EP-XTRA Cutting Fluid. I've used a bunch of fluids for cutting and tapping with my knee mill and this really works the best.

100% agree on Tap Magic, even the original/standard stuff is far superior to any other substitute.

To the OP, that spray looks to me like a dry film lube due to the PTFE(Teflon)-sprays like that are meant to be sprayed on and left to dry, leaving a lubricating film of the PTFE there for future use-they are far from ideal for drilling applications or cutting where you want the fluid volume to remove heat and constantly lubricate the work. That and the residue would likely be much harder to remove, especially if burnt on by the heat of drilling, than any other of the suggestions here.

I would avoid using it for this application.

Thanks! I went with WD40 at the end, but next time I might try vegetable oil.

It's really good you used WD40. Overheating of PTFE generates fumes of highly toxic PFIB and poses a serious health hazard to the human respiratory tract. And from what I've read it doesn't take a lot of PTFE to kill you. The call it the Teflon Flu and it is no joke! It can cause serious damage to your lungs and with Corona it would be a double whammy! This is also why you never leave a non-stick or Teflon coated pan unattended on the stove.

Back