Drilling hole for co2 pipe in small fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Any one have advice on drilling a hole in a small under counter fridge. I am unsure where would be safe to drill or if it would damage the fridge at all. What size co2 line would be best to use and what size hole. Also what woul best way to insulate this hole. Appreciate all you advice.

I would drill in the compressor hump area.
Look from the outside to determine the best place.
As for the size of the hole, i'd go with the same size as you tubing.
When you get the tubing through, consider putting a bit of sealant around the tubing on the inside, then pull it a bit more so that the tubing pulls a bit of the sealant into the hole.

Great thanks mate managed to do just as you asked all good thanks for that advice was nervous on switching on the fridge tho thanks again for great advice

I have done this several times, as well as adding four taps through the side wall of a large fridge. This is my technique:
1) Locate the position of the holes you need on the inside of the fridge and mark them with blue painters tape.
2) Using an old soldering iron, make a small hole and push the iron through so you see a 'witness mark' in the outer skin of the fridge. This is the center of the hole you will drill.
3) Enlargen the hole to about the diameter of a pencil with the soldering iron. The plastic is designed for cold temperatures and melts really easy with a soldering iron.
4) Using a small screwdriver, check there aren't any wires or coolant lines in the way and dig/vacuum out the foam insulation.
4) Once you are sure there are no lines (I have done 12 holes this way and never run into one!), center-punch the witness mark you made in step #2 and drill the hole size you need. I used 7/8" for the tap shanks.

I hope this helps,

Paul

Back