Drilling enameled pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon enamel coated pot I have been using for my brewing. I am sure it's not ideal, but I like the dimensions and I am able to do a full boil in it for a 5 gallon batch.

I have decided a spigot on my brew kettle would be a nice upgrade to my operation. My question is: Is there any harm in drilling a hole for a spigot in an enameled pot?

, only thing that might happen is, the pot is more than likely normal steel, and when you drill a hole in it the now exposed edge of steel may rust, but i think you will be fine since it would not be in contact with your beer

Yes. (IMHO) When you attempt to drill it you will see why. The enamel coating is basically a layer of glass bonded to steel. It will crack/shatter and expose the base metal. Of course you can do that - but. In the realm of cooking, it is said to scrap any enamel pot where it is chipped or damaged.

I'd suggest that you take a look and see if you can find a comparable turkey fryer kettle. No?

One of the first questions I ever asked on here was this, and I was told that if you scratched off the enamel the steel under is very prone to corrosion, and is pretty weak. Don't bother.

After all these years of brewing I still don't have a valve on any of my kettles. I use a wort chiller to cool my wort, and then rack it to my fermenters with my autosiphon, and I've now been using it this way for so long I haven't felt the need to change it.

I like the idea of getting the wort into the Carboy while it is still hot as a measure to further reduce chances for an infection, but maybe I just need to relax and have a homebrew? :)

I like the idea of getting the wort into the Carboy while it is still hot as a measure to further reduce chances for an infection, but maybe I just need to relax and have a homebrew? :)

There's very few fermenters you could do that to anyway. Thermal shock will make glass carboys often go boom (there's been a few bloody messes that way-literally), and folks have posted on here about melted better bottles. Some folks say the same thing would happen to a bucket, others worry that the hot wort would leach chemicals out of the bucket....that leaves the aquatainers no-chill brewers use and maybe kegs.

There's really no need to re-invent the wheel because you're freaked out about something that millions of homebrewers do every day with no problems.

You just need to relax...

I was doing 3 gallon boils then transferring the hot wort into a glass Carboy with 2 gallons of pre boiled, cooled water. No explosions, luckily.

Sounds like my next investment should be a wort chiller!

This can be done without much of an investment. If you are half-way handy, wrapping copper tubing around a bucket to make an immersion chiller is a pretty easy and cheap project. The needed hose fittings are just a few dollars. Simple tubing benders can be had for very few dollars, if you are uneasy about it, or like "pretty" bends. Far cheaper than the chillers sold in catalogs.

Back