drill carboy for valve. it's a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cicquetto

Reaction score
I would like to equip my carboy of an exhaust valve. I had thought of this system

input of CO2 into the carboy

Transfer wort into the fermenter and subsequent introduction of pure oxygen in the wort

siphon

bottling

I might as well have a closed system and protected from oxygen without pumping CO2 under pressure.

it's a good idea?

I have basically the sane system. To purge though you need to fill with star san and drain refilling the headspace with CO2. Flushing directly with CO2 isnt quite as complete. I only use this for IPA's though

Bad idea. Way too unpredictable what the outcome will be.
Could shoot a crack immediately, or maybe later after you've been lulled into complacency...

Cheers!

If you have access to a polarimeter I'd advise checking for undue strain on the glass. If it is present you need to be VERY careful or the glass will fracture quite unpredictably!

How would this work for bottling? You're going to fight getting trub in your bottles/keg draining off the bottom. A flat bottom carboy isn't going to have the benefit of draining the trub off like you would using a conical.

I think all of what you want to achieve could be done with this dual port carboy cap:
3010.jpg

https://www.morebeer.com/products/sterile-siphon-starter-3-5-6-65-gallon-carboy-smooth-necks.html

Review:
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/19/the-sterile-siphon-starter-a-review/

I think all of what you want to achieve could be done with this dual port carboy cap:

yes, it is a cheaper solution, practical and safe. with the valve, however, I can have better control on oxygenation, I can take a sample to check the FG, do not produce foam in siphoning and is easier to bottling.

Back