Dried Lutra Kviek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I used Dried Lutra Kviek yeast in an 5 gallon extract IPA recipe that I had done a couple of times before. I wanted to try it due to being able to ferment it at a room temperature of 74-76 degrees. I have only one minifridge to use for temperature control, and that puts me buying store bought beer on a regular basis as I am waiting for the homebrews to finish. Using the Lutra will allow me to have multiple batches fermenting at once......

I had read that the Kviek yeasts were fast, but holy crap......I was seeing activity in about two hours after pitch, the next morning (about 18 hours after pitch), it was percolating like it was on fire, continuing throughout that day. Next morning (42 hours AP), it is slowed to a bubble every 2-3 seconds, and by the end of the day it is done.......

The recipe called for US-05, so I think the change should be OK, just hope it tastes as good as before (It was/is a Citra/Cascade IPA that is heavenly.....)

YMMV

Lon

My experience so far has been great with exception to the diacetyl. For two the last identical batches of a Golden Ale, 3 days at 68-72 it was at FG and so I crashed for 48hrs, kegged and carbed (forced with 25PSI for 48 hrs. No Shaking). But I still experienced Diacetyl. Did you have this issue?

I make a strawberry blonde every summer using US-05 and it turns out great. I was advised by my HBS to use Lutra (liquid) due to the hot summer we had (I do not do any fermentation temp control). It turned out...meh. Had a weird off flavor. I wasn't happy. I've been very reluctant to try it again, as I've got my beer styles and yeast dialed in.

However, I did use Lutra on a 1 month mead recipe. Worked fantastic! Lowered the abv of the mead and backsweetened with honey water and cranberry juice, then kegged it. Was a huge hit.

My go to yeasts are US-05 for my clean ales (cream ale, vienna ale, pale ale) as well as my stourts. I use Imperial Juice strain for all my hazy IPAs, although I'm trying their Dry Hop strain in my latest hazy.

How's your experience been with Lutra on a hazy IPA? One YouTube channel I watch, Homebrew 4 Life, uses it exclusively for their hazy IPAs.

Lutra works well in my Baltic Porters
I've used liquid and dry - both are excellent.

How's your experience been with Lutra on a hazy IPA? One YouTube channel I watch, Homebrew 4 Life, uses it exclusively for their hazy IPAs.

Haven't used it on a hazy yet, this is my first use of Lutra. Thanks for the heads up on another youtube channel....

Lon

I've used Lutra on this Apricot Wheat which I've brewed a couple times now. It is one of, if not the, best beer I've ever brewed. I've wondered how it would be with Wyeast 1010 instead, but it's so damned good that I don't really want to mess with it.

IMG-1299.jpg

Do they? I searched the channel for "Lutra" and did not find any hits on Hazy IPAs brewed with Lutra. I looked around and saw a couple different Kveik yeasts used and some other ale yeasts in Hazy/NEIPA beers. I have never brewed with Lutra, and it seems like an odd fit for the style based on my understanding. I have made several Hazy IPA/Pale Ales with Voss and think it is a great fit...but this is a thread on Lutra.

I've used Lutra on this Apricot Wheat which I've brewed a couple times now. It is one of, if not the, best beer I've ever brewed. I've wondered how it would be with Wyeast 1010 instead, but it's so damned good that I don't really want to mess with it.

View attachment 753246
Any chance you'd be willing to share that recipe? I'm drying some Hornidal Kviek and am trying to think of what to test it out in

Do they? I searched the channel for "Lutra" and did not find any hits on Hazy IPAs brewed with Lutra. I looked around and saw a couple different Kveik yeasts used and some other ale yeasts in Hazy/NEIPA beers. I have never brewed with Lutra, and it seems like an odd fit for the style based on my understanding. I have made several Hazy IPA/Pale Ales with Voss and think it is a great fit...but this is a thread on Lutra.

Here's one of the videos

at 3:43 you can see the bag of liquid Lutra

I used it for a Miller Lite clone (requested for a retirement party) and it turned out fine. No unexpected flavors there.

Since I saved some of the yeast from that batch's starter, I might give that a go for my next hard seltzer instead of the DADY I have been using.

Any chance you'd be willing to share that recipe? I'm drying some Hornidal Kviek and am trying to think of what to test it out in

Sure. It's simple but good.

Apricot Wheat - BIAB - 5.5% abv, 24 ibu, 3.8 srm
90 minute mash @152°
60 minute boil
OG 1.052
FG 1.010

6-ish gallon batch
8.5 gallons distilled water

4 g CaCl
4ml lactic acid

58.9% White Wheat Malt (7lbs)
37.9% 2 Row (4.5lbs)
3.2% Carapils (6oz)

1.0oz Centennial - 60 mins.
.33oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh - Flame out (hold for 5-10 minutes, then begin cooling).

1pkg Omega Lutra Kveik dry yeast

Most recent brew -
I transferred to the fermenter at about 85°F and did not use any temperature control. It held temp for 24-36 hours before falling to room temp (65°) by day 3 or 4. Left it in the fermenter for a total of 10 days. Transferred to keg on top of 1/2 tsp this apricot flavoring.
I finish with closer to 6 gallons and usually bottle whatever I can't fit in the keg, without the apricot. I've also used liquid Lutra yeast but my LHBS no longer carries it. I didn't notice a difference between the dry and the liquid.
The hops were selected only because they were what I had on hand the first time I made it. Since they seemed to work I just stayed with them.

* I've never used Hornindal so I'm not sure what it would bring to this beer.

at 3:43 you can see the bag of liquid Lutra

Related to "Homebrew 4 Life, uses it exclusively for their hazy IPAs"...from what I can tell they have brewed a few Hazy IPAs with other Kveik strains, and they have brewed some pseudo-lagers (that maybe looked a little hazy when served young) with Lutra. While I have not brewed with Lutra, I believe other Kveik strains like Voss or Hornindal would be better fits for Hazy IPAs, but maybe Lutra is an option.

I am hoping to pick up a pack of the Dried Lutra and use it with some small experimental beers. It would be cool if could turn those types of beer faster. I want to try out Lutra in something like an American Pale Ale. It would be great to turn around an easy drinking Blonde or APA for a party in a week. The ones that I have made with Voss are nice, but Voss does add quite a bit of its own character.

Back