DreamCycle Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdaddy

Reaction score
I would like to do my 1st AG as a - Light Orange in color Ale with a hint of Orange in the smell and taste. but i havent as of yet started on a recipe.and since this is my 1st try i would like a lil help to get me started. any help would be great. I would like to call it DreamCycle Ale.with a solid 4.5-5.0 ABV.

Thanks Les

Here is a quick recipe that might work for that.

Grain Bill:

5 lbs American 2-row malt
4.5 lbs Wheat malt
0.5 lbs American Crystal 40L

Hops Schedule

1.0 oz Centennial (~10% AA) - 60 minutes
0.5 oz Centennial (~10% AA) - 1 minute
0.5 oz Centennial (~10% AA) - Dry Hop

Yeast

Wyeast 1056

Predicted Stats

5.5 Gallon Batch
1.054 Original Gravity
5.25% ABV (assuming an FG of 1.014)
6.9 HCU (faint Orange)
27.0 IBU

Since it is your first AG batch you may want to increase the grain bill by about 10%, you need to overcome what will probably be a low efficiency. I have had great success with using leaf centennial hops, they seem to have a nice citrus flavor especially when used for aroma and dry hopping. I prefer to dry hop in the secondary fermenter for at least 1 week, usually two. If you're looking for even more orange aroma and flavor, consider soaking some grated orange peel in 1 cup of vodka for several weeks. Just start the soak on your brew day and add the vodka when you bottle.

Back