Drain spigot removal on Coleman Xtreme Outdoor (green) cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dcHokie

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of the green Coleman Xtreme Outdoor coolers for a mash tun? I just got a new one and am having a devil of a time getting the drain valve spigot out. I was hoping to unscrew it as I've done with other coolers, but it almost seems as if it a single piece of molded plastic. Anybody?

Reaction score
I was looking at these myself and almost bought one, however I noticed the drain wasn't easily removed.

Perhaps you could use an Exacto Knife on it?

Let us know how your build goes.

alien

Reaction score
I had to take pliers to it. I couldn't twist it apart with my bare hands.

fc36

Reaction score
Alien, long time no see. Haha. I'm thinking of stepping up my 10 gallon round igloo to a rectangular cooler in the 60-80 qt range and I have a $40 Sports Authority gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Would you guys suggest these Coleman Xtreme's or should I look elsewhere for a different rectangular cooler?

OP
dcHokie

dcHokie

Reaction score
OK, thanks, pliers were my next step. Did the spigot get mangled on yours?

I saw a thread on the AHA forums where someone commented about a difference in the blue and green Xtremes, but I bought this one online sight unseen. Its the 150 quart model, a monster, but a really nice cooler in its own right.

alien

Reaction score
I had the 70qt blue one. I ridged up the drain tube slightly where the pliers gripped. Flat nose pliers would have been better, if you have them.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
I have the 70qt blue one. came out easy enough without pliers

I made sure I could before I bought it

Jeffinn

Reaction score
Alien, long time no see. Haha. I'm thinking of stepping up my 10 gallon round igloo to a rectangular cooler in the 60-80 qt range and I have a $40 Sports Authority gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Would you guys suggest these Coleman Xtreme's or should I look elsewhere for a different rectangular cooler?
The Xtreme cooler I have (52 quart I believe) holds temperatures really well. On average I only lose one or two degrees over an hour. For the money, it's a solid performer.

Latest posts