Dragon Silk fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
I brewed a Dragon Silk Stout and used Wild Turkey as the chosen Bourbon addition. Yum. I calculated the ABV at around 8.4% (OG 1.091, FG 1.028). Not huge but that's ok. I'm more interested in the taste then getting intoxicated. After 3 weeks of fermenting at room temperature I put two in the refrigerator. Both had zero carbonation. I am going to let them sit another month and try again. Yes, I added sugar to the bottling bucket. Maybe they just need more time. I am a patient man. My Imperial stout stayed in the fermentor for 8 months before bottling. I would have expected at least a little carbonation, but they had nothing. Two cases of flat beer doesn't seem appealing to me. More time or snafu?

Bigger beers are usually easier to force carbonate in my experience. The added bourbon might be the issue, but not sure. If you have the capabilities, get a kegging setup for beers like that IMO.

im confused, you added your priming sugar and then bottled it? then let it sit at room temp for 3 weeks, then put it in the fridge?

if this is the case, it needs more time at room temp.

im confused, you added your priming sugar and then bottled it? then let it sit at room temp for 3 weeks, then put it in the fridge?

if this is the case, it needs more time at room temp.

I am confused by your response. How would you bottle and then add priming sugar? It normally only takes 2 weeks to get carbonation when bottle priming.

when doing an 8 mo. secondary I've found that adding fresh yeast with the sugar works every time. I use 5oz maple syrup and 3.3 grams of CBC yeast to the bottling bucket. The CBC needs about 30 min at room temp to hydrate in about 200ml boiled and cooled water. To solve your current issue maybe pop the caps and put in carb drops and re cap.

I brewed a Dragon Silk Stout and used Wild Turkey as the chosen Bourbon addition. Yum. I calculated the ABV at around 8.4% (OG 1.091, FG 1.028). Not huge but that's ok. I'm more interested in the taste then getting intoxicated. After 3 weeks of fermenting at room temperature I put two in the refrigerator. Both had zero carbonation. I am going to let them sit another month and try again. Yes, I added sugar to the bottling bucket. Maybe they just need more time. I am a patient man. My Imperial stout stayed in the fermentor for 8 months before bottling. I would have expected at least a little carbonation, but they had nothing. Two cases of flat beer doesn't seem appealing to me. More time or snafu?

That's too bad that it hasn't carbonated or begun carbonating!
I'm currently doing the same recipe, more or less, meaning I used whatever the LHBS had to hand so this is of particular interest to me. I got an OG of 1.110 (after bringing it down with a quart of water) and my FG was the same as yours.
I get from your post that you fermented the Dragon Silk for eight months and then bottle conditioned for three weeks?
You should have noticed at least a little tingling, I believe, by three weeks. How's your room temperature?
I think the advice on adding yeast is good but find out the exact procedure.
What made you decide on 8 months instead of the 8 weeks per the recipe? Was it just the fact that it's a big beer?
I only did three weeks in the primary before bottling. I probably should have done longer but I'm not experienced enough to trust the yeast to carbonate after an extended period. As it is, I'm still concerned as to what effect adding the bourbon will have on the yeast and bottle conditioning--maybe nothing but it is my first stout.
I'm at eight days in the bottle right now and will try one in about three or four weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

That's too bad that it hasn't carbonated or begun carbonating!
I'm currently doing the same recipe, more or less, meaning I used whatever the LHBS had to hand so this is of particular interest to me. I got an OG of 1.110 (after bringing it down with a quart of water) and my FG was the same as yours.
I get from your post that you fermented the Dragon Silk for eight months and then bottle conditioned for three weeks?
You should have noticed at least a little tingling, I believe, by three weeks. How's your room temperature?
I think the advice on adding yeast is good but find out the exact procedure.
What made you decide on 8 months instead of the 8 weeks per the recipe? Was it just the fact that it's a big beer?
I only did three weeks in the primary before bottling. I probably should have done longer but I'm not experienced enough to trust the yeast to carbonate after an extended period. As it is, I'm still concerned as to what effect adding the bourbon will have on the yeast and bottle conditioning--maybe nothing but it is my first stout.
I'm at eight days in the bottle right now and will try one in about three or four weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I did not mean to imply that the Dragon Silk was in secondary for 8 months. I previously brewed an imperial stout that I left in the carboy for 8 months. That beer turned out awesome with decent carbonation. The Dragon Silk beer was in the carboy for 2 1/2 months. Life happened with the other beer. Sorry for any misunderstanding. The room temp beer is at 82. We don't let the AC kick on unless it is warmer than 82. I'm cheap like that. I would have expected at least a little fizz, but it was disappointing. Fingers crossed for it just needing to sit more. I have brewed 4 stouts. Best was the NB imperial stout followed closely by the Big Honkin' Stout. I brewed a St. Paul Porter that was very good too. I am never messing with the lesser ales again, like Nut Brown Ale. That stuff was a waste of my time. Thanks for responding.

I did not mean to imply that the Dragon Silk was in secondary for 8 months. I previously brewed an imperial stout that I left in the carboy for 8 months. That beer turned out awesome with decent carbonation. The Dragon Silk beer was in the carboy for 2 1/2 months. Life happened with the other beer. Sorry for any misunderstanding. The room temp beer is at 82. We don't let the AC kick on unless it is warmer than 82. I'm cheap like that. I would have expected at least a little fizz, but it was disappointing. Fingers crossed for it just needing to sit more. I have brewed 4 stouts. Best was the NB imperial stout followed closely by the Big Honkin' Stout. I brewed a St. Paul Porter that was very good too. I am never messing with the lesser ales again, like Nut Brown Ale. That stuff was a waste of my time. Thanks for responding.
No worries about the misunderstanding.
I am a BIG fan of the stronger beers. I have noticed that the Tripels carb super fast even though they're around 9%. The Quads (even higher in ABV) that I've made, take around a month to get near done carbonating.
I've never conditioned that high but if the yeast likes it, why not.
Like I said, I have a ways to go before it's worth checking that Dragon's Silk, but I'm looking forward to it.
Cheers

Back