Draft Tower or Coffin Box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

limulus

Reaction score
Guys, I've come full circle. I started brewing in the early 1990s, stopped and started back in 2009. I used to keg but this time decided I would just use Tap A Draft bottles. Those work just fine...but........of course there's a but. The fever just got me again after three years back in the brewing hobby. Now I want a real draft system and I really like the keezers I see on here. I still have a 2-tap stainless tower that I bought around 1996 from Rapids Wholesale in NC. But, I see most guys are building the coffin box and going with Perlicks. Is this only because you want to have more than 2 taps or is there some advantage to the coffin over the tower(s)? Personally, I think the coffin boxes look pretty cool. I don't think I have the need to have 4 beers on tap unless our neighborhood poker club starts up again.

I am about to buy two of the 7 cu ft chest freezers at Home Depot. One for fermenting in the garage and one for the keezer in the basement.Can someone enlighten me on the reasons for the coffin over a tower?

heckels

Reaction score
A couple I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Ease of changing lines if needed
2. Ability to easily expand to more taps in the future.
3. It's easier to fit a fan in a coffin to circulate cool air from the keezer to help prevent foaming.

With that said, I have a kegerator :mug:

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
What was stated above.

I will say if you have a costco membership, or know someone who can get you in...look at their Haier 7.1 cu CF.

Its 175(before any state taxes), and can fit 4 ball lock kegs, and a 5lb CO2 container without a collar, or two 6.5g carboys can fit on the floor without a collar.

A much better deal than Home Depot unless its on super sale.

OP
OP
limulus

limulus

Reaction score
Thanks Lads. Sounds like I'll be ordering some Perlick 525s and maybe I'll use the tower for something else.

fall-line

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stainless tower on my mini-fridge kegerator, currently. It works OK, but I will absolutely be going the coffin route when I build the keezer. When going out to pubs here in town, I always find that I like the look of the built in tap wall (coffin style), rather than the towers on the bar, too.